Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blown primers

Blown primers

I recently purchased new 6.5 x55 Lapua cases . I loaded them with my normal 45 grains of Viht 160 and Speer 140 grain gamekings . The CCI primers I used seemed to push in with little resistance . I zeroed the rifle and 3 out of 10 rounds blew the primer . Any ideas ?

Thanks
    Chill
    Last edited by chill123; 11-02-2016 at 06:09.

primer came right out?

slack pockets from new is either bad brass or a combo of that and small spec primers
    some are slightly tighter to fit
    but my first though is to take the brass back

CCI primers will be last port of call for cause.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Are the primers the same batch as previously used? If so it's likely the brass. (So much for Lapua quality) LOL!
    If the primers are a new batch, you could easily measure the diameter of the primers to see if they are small when compared to other batches. Measurement of the case recess diameter is more difficult.
    The fit of the primers depends on the combination of primer diameter, primer material stiffnes & case recess diameter - you should check out all three parameters. (Or just change the brass)
    Did you see any other signs of high pressure?
    Additionally did you use the same seating depth of bullets as previously - Deeper seating gives higher pressures.
    Were your previous loadings with brass with the same internal volume? - Thicker cases also lead to higher pressures. (check by weighing clean sized & trimmed brass & comparing the batches)
    You may need to work up a new load if the cause isn't aparent, or you have changed a parameter (or two).

Ian

I don't suppose the charge being 1.5 grains over listed MAX would have anything to do with it?~Muir

You mention new brass, was the load worked up in a different make of brass?

Of course not Muir how could you wonder such a thing?

Actually, my girl friend was reading the thread and suggested it. I just happened to agree....~Muir

Guess things are more modern, or different, now than when I learnt to reload rifle cartidges. Then you were told, informed, instructed, (take your pick) to work up again with any new component or change of component. All reloading manuals had this printed in them.

New cases or different make means you work up again as they can and do vary in capacity and or weight. Change bullet make again it's new or a change work up to be safe.

Obviously this is seen as old fashioned today so not bothered with.

Quote Originally Posted by chill123 View Post
    I recently purchased new 6.5 x55 Lapua cases . I loaded them with my normal 45 grains of Viht 160 and Speer 140 grain gamekings . The CCI primers I used seemed to push in with little resistance . I zeroed the rifle and 3 out of 10 rounds blew the primer . Any ideas ?

Thanks
    Chill
    Well it's not an excessive load for a 6.55 SE, but define 'blown primers' for us.

Rifle/OAL too would help.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.