Available Level 2 funding via the Bursary fund

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
As you may recall we have provided level 1 training for some time, the truth is the last course we ran proved difficult to fill so we have decided to try an alternative scheme. One of the biggest initial costs of level 2 is the registration fee, the stalks can be done over time giving the candidate time to save up/make arrangements to complete their port folio, especially as the registration fee is set to increase substantially this year. As it does not matter where you register we have made arrangements for the registration to be done via Barony college.

All the prospective candidates have to do is apply via PM to me, we shall consider the request and inform successful candidates of their next step. This will be to contact the registration office at the college via an email address which we will supply, the candidate will be asked to provide the necessary details and will receive their portfolio through the post, at present that is as it will all be changing later in the year when the entire process becomes electronic and done via the cloud. The college will bill us for the registration fee, the candidate has no dealings with the finances at all, how is easy is that?

We are hoping that at the present rate of supporters club membership, and registration fees we will we able to fund a candidate each month.

We await the expected flood of applications, good luck.

John

I've been a supporter of the site since the scheme started and I'm very happy to continue being so, as part of the fee has supported novices to complete their level 1 dsc. Level 1 in my opinion provides a very important (basic) theory base for those interested in taking up deer stalking.

level 2 on the other hand (as we are all probably aware) is a practical assessment of the skills gained following level 1. It is usual for the prospective candidate to have expended time and effort and not least money gaining the level of proficiency to 'pass' level 2.

Level 2 (in my opinion) should not be viewed as a necessary step for all but one which any may choose to take should they feel the need.

I question the validity of providing bursary money for those intending to take level 2 for a few reasons but mainly because I feel the money would be better used on education at a more basic level for novices.

To provide some context to this, I have recently submitted my portfolio for level 2 and hope to receive th award soon. This comes on the back of a year where I haven't been working (through choice as I look after out young children), I have been diagnosed and treated for cancer, have partially lost the sight in one eye.

Through all this I made some hard decisions and decided that to me gaining level 2 was a priority, I saved for registration and paid stalks (as my ground doesn't allow visitors) and completed my portfolio. It was hard to do but worthwhile and certainly not beyond reach for anyone serious enough about it.

I am aware that I will be disagreed with by many (not least the site ownership) but the above is my opinion and I hope it's not presented in such a way as to cause offence to anyone.

I've been a supporter of the site since the scheme started and I'm very happy to continue being so, as part of the fee has supported novices to complete their level 1 dsc. Level 1 in my opinion provides a very important (basic) theory base for those interested in taking up deer stalking.

I question the validity of providing bursary money for those intending to take level 2 for a few reasons but mainly because I feel the money would be better used on education at a more basic level for novices.

I am aware that I will be disagreed with by many (not least the site ownership) but the above is my opinion and I hope it's not presented in such a way as to cause offence to anyone.

Ditto, I fully agree with helping to fund level 1, as some police forces require it, but not level 2.

Once again a Big hand clap from me :thumb:, what other site would give this as gift and chances to a chap or lass to move on well done lads . P_M I hope you turn the corner mty and overcome as best one can that horrid cancer :tiphat:

Hi Jayb,

This is not meant to be overly critical of your efforts or intentions I think they may have been a bit misdirected.

I think it might be better is you just give a grant towards DSC-1 costs. There are lots of providers all over the country and organising people for the length of time for an entire course is as you found out difficult to say the least.

Maybe grant for DSC-1 is a good idea rather than trying to run SD DSC-1s. I don’t think level 2s are perhaps the way to go for getting people into stalking.

Of course I’m not a supporter, just an economist by profession who is keen on seeing efficient application of funds to help our sport.

Best wishes,

Scrummy

I think the DSC 2 support is a great idea. There's quite a few folks who want to use the DSC 2 to help turn their DSC1 theory into good practice and its a good way to do so. I'm in exactly that position, and before anyone asks, not wishing to avail myself of the bursary as there will be many others more deserving.

Good idea John and hope you attract the right folk.

I think the DSC 2 support is a great idea. There's quite a few folks who want to use the DSC 2 to help turn their DSC1 theory into good practice and its a good way to do so. I'm in exactly that position, and before anyone asks, not wishing to avail myself of the bursary as there will be many others more deserving.

Ditto on the above.

To some the little bit of financial help from here will mean a very great deal.

As with the thread that is already running about costs, if you cannot pay for DSC1 how are you going to pay for your stalking. It is great helping others but there comes a time when most have to pay for any stalking. Some that have had the bursary, work and then put on here were they are tripping off to what they have bought and how much stalking they have, in my opinion there are more needy. At no time have I read about anyone giving back the money. It is incredibly hard for the site owners to choose who needs are the most and they have more pressing things but I think that is why there are not more supporters

A little flavour of the soured grape here?
Not at all. I'm just concerned that my money is now going to be spent on something which I don't think is appropriate.

ps, as were all supposed to be grown ups we could agree to disagree without resorting to name calling

Gents,

I can't really see what the problem is, Level 2 registration is likely to be the single most expensive element of the whole process, plus the registration fee is going up this year. Stalks can be had for about £75 and the level 2 write up is quite often thrown in as a freebie so over the lifespan of a portfolio three stalks are not too painful. Another plus as far as I can see is people take their level 2 because they want to and the personal effort far outweighs that required for the level 1. With a level 1 people get all the training they need on the course and are coached/helped all the way through it. Level 2 candidates have to bring their own knowledge and expertise to the stalks as opposed to being spoon fed what is needed.

To me taking the level2 displays a lot more commitment over a set time period, and I think personally people who are prepared to show this sort of commitment and personal investment are more likely to better stalkers and more beneficial to stalking and ultimately deer, than people who take their level one, quite often as a syndicate requirement, and then have very little interest in furthering their own stalking related personal development.

So I see the use of the bursary fund for level 2 as well as level 1 quite legitimate and just as important, I'm sorry if others see it differently but we can't all be the same or the world would be quite boring. I should add to that last sentence that we can all be polite when dealing with others.

John

As with the thread that is already running about costs, if you cannot pay for DSC1 how are you going to pay for your stalking. It is great helping others but there comes a time when most have to pay for any stalking. Some that have had the bursary, work and then put on here were they are tripping off to what they have bought and how much stalking they have, in my opinion there are more needy. At no time have I read about anyone giving back the money. It is incredibly hard for the site owners to choose who needs are the most and they have more pressing things but I think that is why there are not more supporters

I was (wrongly) told I needed DSC1 to shoot deer with my .243 (I already had fox and AOLQ) so I scraped together enough money to do it. I have never paid for stalking as I have sought out landowners who want deer culled and to them they don't want payment as they see it as me removing a problem for them. I also have met people who are generous enough to take me shooting on their places. While stalking can be expensive it doesn't have to be, it just involves more leg work and more knock backs. If I had enough money or couldn't be bothered to seek out free stalking then maybe I'd happily pay and have thousands of pounds worth of kit to go along with it.

I think the bursary scheme is a great way to give back to those who love the sport but are doing it on a shoestring. If I was ever to go for my level 2 then I would only need to cover AW costs as I have ground to stalk for free and from reading on here it sounds like there are plenty who will do it for a very small donation so to have the registration fee covered would be a great help.

I think both options are laudable and viable. My suggestion would be to retain DSC1 in the form of grants, not courses as previously mentioned, as travel to local courses may reduce costs still further. Additionally to offset the costs of DSC2 registration with 'free-to-candidate L2 stalks'. Im sure there would be several supporters who would help out those that need assistance and currently some do already, and for others, recompense via the site taking the financial element away from the candidate on this part. Plus they will gain valuable real experience.

Back