Kill it cook it eat it

CHRIS WORLEY

How many out there accually Kill it Cook it Eat it themselves,not get wives girlfriends to cook it,be it fur or feather.

I do, all the time.

Fish, pheasants, ducks, deer, rabbits.

Just reared two tamworth pigs. Had them slaughtered for the freezer.

Grow a fair bit of our own fruit and veg also. Have hens for eggs. Going to rear some turkeys for christmas this year.

Its about the only stuff I do cook if I can help it but yes I do the lot. Especially in this weather venison and game BBQ on the cards today and that really is the male domain

I'd rather order takeout than eat game cooked by 'her'. Otherwise she's perfect... But she like most woman just don't get cooking game and will Gordon Brown it.

I will enjoy the whole experience from field or stream right on to the table , or even on the knee next to a fire, I am a firm believer in passing on cooking skills simple though they may be, both my sons could deliver a full english to the table before they were out of primary school.

Why shouldn't we, anyone that doesn't eat what the shoot shouldn't be shooting , it is the final part of the process there are thousands out there that don't even know what venison is , I give people venison, rabbit and game birds all the time, some of them have even started to buy the stuff from Asda and Tesco think we all need to get with the program a little more .

My missus is a supreme cook, everything else I do., kill, prepare(got a sausage machine for my 40th)-- venison ,rabbit ,pigeon the lot. Over 50% of the meat we meals we eat is wild, my wife keeps a food diary! I mainly only get venison , rabbit and pigeon for myself. People give me lots of stuff ,particularly pheasant and duck because they can't be bothered to prepare it.

What makes me sad is the amount of people , particulaly the younger ones/game shots that would rather have a Mac donalds than give anything they kill the respect it deserves and not just chuck out like some sick consumer item discarded down the dump.

I know pigeon shooters who dump 100's of birds who have never eaten one, alot of game shots are the same. There are many stalkers who only sell on and never eat it. This I find bizarre.

All this leaves a bad taste in my mouth so I do what I can to encourage them to try a bit harder and give it a go. Alot of it is laziness.

A good stalking friend is now eating alot more game after seeing how our family (3 kids) all go for it, and save alot of money to boot!

Supermarkets should be made to demo how stuff gets to the shelves, & then ask the shopping public what they would prefer, that would be a proper definition of "Organic"!

I dont do the kill bit, I leave that to Phil. However the butcher it, cook it bit I am ok with. But I dont get a look in with the cooking if it is loin or steak that is when Phil takes over with timer and everything. Got to admit though he can cook a mean steak!
We have tried most game including squirrel, which was not that bad really.

Can do it all myself but it varies, my butchery isnt top notch, but Dad is better than me - so he normally does that, Im a better skinner - so I skin them out. And everyone cooks, so it varies greatly.

One of my favourite jaunts is to go for a day, sometimes two, with either the shotgun or .22 and see what happens. Eat what I can shoot in the field and hammock under a tarp. The menu depends on what I can shoot ;) But its normally Pheasant, Duck, Rabbit, Squirral - depending on whats in season and what I fancy. If you have a farmer who doesnt mind then its great fun, I would recomend it :D

Sam

Supermarkets should be made to demo how stuff gets to the shelves, & then ask the shopping public what they would prefer, that would be a proper definition of "Organic"!

Some local to me have, Asda in particular done a demo as they started to sell the stuff they done pigeon as well .

I do the same with everything I shoot, it all gets eaten by us, the only thing that ever gets sold on is a glut of pigeons if ive been lucky enough to get more than we can keep, I bought a sausage machine and a burger press so all the odd bits of what ever has been shot go into burgers and bangers, the last bangers were bambi and bugs with chilli and red currant jelly mmmmmmmmm

mike

Did a barbie last night for the family and friends, most popular thing on the menu was between fallow ribs and bambi burgers! I cook in our house, my wife only occassionally. Both my 17 year old twins can cook (boy & girl). But my daughter has the urge to shoot, prepare and cook. My lad doesn't mind the shooting part, but prefers to let other people do the messy bits, little git! But they have both been brought up on game and what we can gather from the hedgerows.

When I first started stalking, they liked bringing friends into the garage to show them my chiller when there was a deer in it. They also liked pheasant feet, pulling the sinews to make the foot open and chasing their friends with them. We have always bought half a lamb and cut it up at home since they were tiny, they think nothing of it. I will admit we have freaked out some parents but never any kids, they all seem to be gruesome little beggars, just like I was ;)

ft

i like to do everything as well since i have been stalking everyone wants to eat at our house its like come dine with me but i never seem to go to anybody elses house.i made a hog roaster at work three years ago and we do quite a few every year last time i had my van in the garage and had to bring the pig home from my local butcher in my wifes convertable bmw i managed to get him sat in the front with a pair of shades on with the hood down:cool:. im looking forward to trying vennison in the roaster with some cherry wood.

In our house we only supplement wild meat with bacon and the occasional sausage. At first people (my kids especially) wanted to know how we would survive with so little to choose from? I answered this by asking what meat do "normal" people eat? It turned out that it comes down to a basic four or five varieties, i.e. beef, lamb, pork and chicken, with perhaps turkey at Christmas. I started MY list with pheasant, then partridge, rabbit, hare, duck, pigeon, venison, goose, and a few slightly more oddball like squirrel, wild boar, pike and trout. We now have a more varied diet than most shoppers enjoy. I'm not beyond enjoying a nice bit of pork if we eat out, but I can't say it's a problem to not have it at home. with regard to the question about whether I cook it myself, yes I do.

I did an article on here some time ago when I did a dinner party for about a dozen people using a pit oven. (Search under "pit roast"). Great fun and a great topic of conversation over dinner. The haunch of venison was steamed rather than roasted which didn't give that lovely crisp outer skin. I think next time I will do it half and half. Starting with three or more hours in the pit and then perhaps an hour on a spit just to darken the outside, giving that caramelised flavour. Mmmmmm I can hardly wait.

Last edited:
Back