Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Steps

Reloading Steps

I expect something similar has been done in the recent past. This is really aimed at people who have just started or about to start reloading rifle ammunition - experienced reloaders can ignore it !!.

There is nothing more frustrating after making up a batch of rounds to realise that you had forgotten to maybe deburr the mouths or trim to length - I forgot the powder once!!

So I made up a list and this is in the sequence that I complete the reloading of my cases - an aide memoire. I am not suggesting this is the sequence to adopt - it is just the way I do it, others may want to add/subtract from this list.

When I have to reload a batch I simply cut off one of the duplicated lists and tick off/cross out each line as I complete that step keeping this list on the loading block - that way you can walk away from the bench and upon return know exactly where you are with the process.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RELOADING STEPS 001.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	282.7 KB 
ID:	66491

nice one
    peter i see we all have different orders of the procedures
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

I kept all the SMA baby food tins when kids were infants .....sticky labels on the top
    1. Just fired brass
    2. Full length size brass
    2a . Neck size brass
    3. Trimmed brass
    4. Trimmed & debur chamfered brass
    5. Trimmed & debur chamfer & clean / tumbled brass
    6 . Primed ready for loading brass

Come back from shooting throw brass in tin and do a heap of each stage move to next tin for another night .

Everybody has their own quibbles n ways .... As long as you keep on top o where you are

Paul

I always FLS my brass before trimming to length, then SS media tumble, check cases for any damage etc. then chamfer/de-burr, brush out, prime and load.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Never understood why you would deprime and not resize at the same time? Surely you use resizing dies with decapping pin?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    I always FLS my brass before trimming to length, then SS media tumble, check cases for any damage etc. then chamfer/de-burr, brush out, prime and load.
    Because I keep my case lengths mid way between min and max, I accept that my cases could grow perhaps 1 thou or so, so not an issue. I prefer to brush out necks before FLS so I do not have too much pressure when extracting the F/L button - thought we all did that?

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Never understood why you would deprime and not resize at the same time? Surely you use resizing dies with decapping pin?
    Prefer to use a universal deprimer, besides when N/K sizing I use bushings on two of my three rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
    Prefer to use a universal deprimer, besides when N/K sizing I use bushings on two of my three rifles.
    Thank you for clarifying, never used one, but may well now!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    It's a good question. I deprime, anneal and clean before full length resizing. Regards JCS