Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Light primer strike

  1. #1

    Light primer strike

    I've an intermittent problem with rounds not going bang, as they ought to.

    Using factory hornady ammunition, out of 24 rounds three did not clickenboomen.

    Checked two or three boxes from the same batch and the primers all seem to be uniformly seated and are not proud of the pocket.

    When I rechamber the round and try to fire it, just a click and no increased indent on the primer. Rounds before and after this clickenboomen fine.

    Could there be an issue with the factory primers being non-uniform hardness? Or just a light striking pin?

    I'd have thought if it was the firing pin it would consistently strike light.

    Any ideas?
    I never make the same mistake twice.

    I make it five or six times.

    Just to be sure.


  2. #2
    Have you thought that there might be some dirt of debris inside the bolt that can stop the striker ging fully forwards somethimes?

  3. #3
    Thanks Conure, I have stripped the bolt and checked but nothing that I can see.
    I never make the same mistake twice.

    I make it five or six times.

    Just to be sure.


  4. #4
    I'd say excessive headspace on those three rounds is causing the problem. Has it happened with other brands or with correctly headspaced handloads?

  5. #5
    Give the bolt a wash out. Brake or carb cleaner works well as is easily obtainable then a bit of kitchen towl with a bit of oil on wrapped around a screwdriver shank pushed intot eh bolt body and twisted round to smear the oil will leave a trace of oil. Wask out striker and sping then again lightly oil and reassemble bolt. If nowt else you have eliminated one possible cause.

    I would also check trigger is clean the mechanism as with a rifle used for stalking over time tiny seeds can find their way into places they should not. While you doing this clean out the bolt locking lug recess. I did this on a used rifle and was amazed at the debris that was removed even a pine needle was in there.

    If this does not help at least you have given the rifle a nice bit of TLC then I would retry the ammunition and another batch or make as well to see if the same probalem happens.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    I'd say excessive headspace on those three rounds is causing the problem. Has it happened with other brands or with correctly headspaced handloads?
    I've only run 40 rounds of S&B and 20 GECO through it, without any problems with them. Excuse the simple question, but by headspace you mean distance between bullet and lands? If so, how would that affect strike on the primer? (trying to understand the implication)
    I never make the same mistake twice.

    I make it five or six times.

    Just to be sure.


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    Give the bolt a wash out. Brake or carb cleaner works well as is easily obtainable then a bit of kitchen towl with a bit of oil on wrapped around a screwdriver shank pushed intot eh bolt body and twisted round to smear the oil will leave a trace of oil. Wask out striker and sping then again lightly oil and reassemble bolt. If nowt else you have eliminated one possible cause.

    I would also check trigger is clean the mechanism as with a rifle used for stalking over time tiny seeds can find their way into places they should not. While you doing this clean out the bolt locking lug recess. I did this on a used rifle and was amazed at the debris that was removed even a pine needle was in there.

    If this does not help at least you have given the rifle a nice bit of TLC then I would retry the ammunition and another batch or make as well to see if the same probalem happens.
    Conure - I'll give that a go. This might be a terrible idea, but would a blast in the ultrasonic bath get any crap out of the bolt if I broke it down to firing pin mech/ bolt body first, then give it a light oil.
    I never make the same mistake twice.

    I make it five or six times.

    Just to be sure.


  8. #8
    Have a look here:-

    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bo...JZwe-PpmoSM%3A

    Head space is the tolerance on the position of the shoulder on a rimless bottleneck rifle case. The images should explain better.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JockStalk View Post
    Conure - I'll give that a go. This might be a terrible idea, but would a blast in the ultrasonic bath get any crap out of the bolt if I broke it down to firing pin mech/ bolt body first, then give it a light oil.
    The ultra sound should do the trick. I just mentioned the old fashioned way that I have done this in the past which was before ultrasound cleaners were available at a reasonable cost.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JockStalk View Post
    I've only run 40 rounds of S&B and 20 GECO through it, without any problems with them. Excuse the simple question, but by headspace you mean distance between bullet and lands? If so, how would that affect strike on the primer? (trying to understand the implication)

    Headspace is the distance between the case head (part that touches boltface) and the case shoulder (in most cases). The three problem cartridges might be a loose fit I the chamber so that the firing pin doesn't strike far enough to indent primer properly. You'll probably find a better explanation for headspace if you google it. Just my thoughts...

Similar Threads

  1. strike a brief history
    By Strike in forum Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-12-2015, 09:44
  2. For Sale Tracer Sport Light 170 Gun Light
    By .243Hunter in forum Other Items
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2015, 22:00
  3. Bird Strike
    By Paddy_SP in forum Other Shooting & Keepering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-10-2012, 09:36
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 14:17
  5. Bullet strike
    By cockersam in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 29-12-2009, 00:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •