Thread: merkel rx helix, which barrel?

merkel rx helix, which barrel?

Hi all, im considering upgrading to an RX Helix in .30-06 for deer and boar, ill run it moderated with a big scope in the uk and unmoderated with a small one for driven stuff abroad. My preference is for a short, light, manoeuvrable rifle, i usually shoot a steyr scout .308. The question i have is do i get a helix with a 510mm or 560 fluted barrel (no iron sights) in 17mm or 19mm thickness, my inclination is 17mm thick, 510mm long, any thoughts?

Random, a bloke at work asked me about the very same rifle only today

Won't a 30-06 with a 20inch barrel basically be a .308 though just with more recoil and noise?

Not much data available on 20" 30-06 barrels, most people go for 24", a few 22". Probably about 60 fps difference between them. 20" might be difficult to sell on later. Length for length you you get about 200 fps more than a .308.

For what it's worth I would probably go with the 560mm in the 17mm profile. A bit more grunt and easier to move on later.

Having said that I run a 16" .308 and love it. Slow, but for woodland work it really doesn't matter. 180 grain at 2400 fps is adequate for the boar as well, just need to give them a bit of lead!
    So much to learn and so little time left

Quote Originally Posted by Rob79 View Post
    Hi all, im considering upgrading to an RX Helix in .30-06 for deer and boar, ill run it moderated with a big scope in the uk and unmoderated with a small one for driven stuff abroad. My preference is for a short, light, manoeuvrable rifle, i usually shoot a steyr scout .308. The question i have is do i get a helix with a 510mm or 560 fluted barrel (no iron sights) in 17mm or 19mm thickness, my inclination is 17mm thick, 510mm long, any thoughts?
    Why not take advantage of the Helix design, and buy the rifle with a barrel that best suits either deer, or boar, and get a second barrel for the other, and instead of buying two scopes, get one that could cover both ?

I have the 9.3 x 62 with the 470, (18.5") semi weight, fluted barrel, and LOVE it for driven boar. Now considering a second barrel in maybe 270, or 7 x 64, in 510mm x 17mm for deer.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Why not take advantage of the Helix design, and buy the rifle with a barrel that best suits either deer, or boar, and get a second barrel for the other, and instead of buying two scopes, get one that could cover both ?

I have the 9.3 x 62 with the 470, (18.5") semi weight, fluted barrel, and LOVE it for driven boar. Now considering a second barrel in maybe 270, or 7 x 64, in 510mm x 17mm for deer.
    +1 on this.

Get the Helix in the configuration you mainly use and then add a barrel for your alternative use. Possibly a single scope for additional barrels but it's not a major issue if you need to add another scope as the Helix system is so versatile.

It's a cracking takedown rifle that really will return to zero with barrel changes.

I've got an RX helix in .308. It's a cracking rifle, super accurate and POI is bang on if you take the barrel off and replace it. It's also nice and light due to the aluminium receiver and the straight pull is great for reloading without moving your head. I'd prefer the barrel to be a touch shorter on mine as it's a bit unwieldy in a vehicle, but otherwise it's great!

My only tiny criticism is that the butt plate once loose continually falls off, however my gunsmith has rectified that issue with a simple fix.

Thanks all, appreciate your thoughts