Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Dilemma......

Rifle Dilemma......

This is my dilemma. I started building this .260 Remington rifle, for my own use, during my employment at Westley Richards. I liked the look of the calibre, and imported a Shilen match barrel and chamber reamer from the U.S. I barrelled the Argentine Mauser 98 action and it was proved in 2004. It took me a couple of years getting round to fitting scope rings, and much to the disgust of my workmates, fitting a plastic stock ( i intended the rifle to be a worker ). With a few sighting shots, it grouped five shots on the factory 50yd range, which made me quite happy!!! The rifle has genuinely, and ashamedly fired less than 100 rounds. Anyway, since 2007 (when I left W.R.) my little project has never been finished!!!! I could never make my mind up with which moderator to fit, or muzzle thread to screwcut, and I could never make my mind up whether to go traditional blacking or cerakote. I don't get the chance to stalk anymore, so it sits in the cabinet. We have a new arrival to the family this april, and I need some cash!!! So, my little conundrum is this..... do I let the rifle go, as is, for someone to finish as they please, or do I de-breach for someone to use the action??? Any comments welcome!!!! Jim.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2295.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	66522Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2294.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	66523Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2300.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	66524

You have taken it this far, why not finish it. Someone out there will be looking for a nice 260. You could offer to finish it and screw cut it for the mod of their choice.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Surely the best thread for the mod is hugely dependent on the barrel profile. So that is one decision made. Most good mods can be had in a choice of threads. Then ceracote it as a working rifle and sell it. I am sure there will be enough '98 fans out there who would like a 260.

David.

Thread it and an Invisible thread cap

leave it as is , offer it for sale or just use it seeing as you have put so much time and effort into it it'd be a shame not to get a little enjoyment out of your hard work

I know what it's like having young kids and hobbies but if you fancy an outing or a little walk around with me on the odd day your only up the road from me relatively , your more than welcome if it helps rekindle the sport or convinces you to keep your rifle and enjoy it I'd be happy to oblige

My advice is that it is sunk money and just hang on to it. The funds you will get for it won't go very far when it comes to nappies etc, and believe once you have little toe rags, funds to buy a nice rifle will be few and far between. Don't bother threading it for a moderator. Stick a simple 6x42 scope on it and use it a couple of times a year for a walk about with friends etc.

Dont nt pander to this baby changing your life ********. Little ones are quite happy when out in the wilds. Yes you do have to adapt, but there is more than one stalker I know whose youngster goes stalking with them in a back pack. Indeed one 18 month old I know is very good at spotting deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    My advice is that it is sunk money and just hang on to it. The funds you will get for it won't go very far when it comes to nappies etc, and believe once you have little toe rags, funds to buy a nice rifle will be few and far between. Don't bother threading it for a moderator. Stick a simple 6x42 scope on it and use it a couple of times a year for a walk about with friends etc.

Dont nt pander to this baby changing your life ********. Little ones are quite happy when out in the wilds. Yes you do have to adapt, but there is more than one stalker I know whose youngster goes stalking with them in a back pack. Indeed one 18 month old I know is very good at spotting deer.
    I would agree, keep the rifle, finish it when you can and use it partially finished until then. If you sell it you will lose money. It wont come to any harm in a cabinet for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Indeed one 18 month old I know is very good at spotting deer.
    If only he'd learn to tap daddy quietly on the head, rather than flail his arms going 'deeeeah deaaah deaaah!!' at the top of his voice...

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    If only he'd learn to tap daddy quietly on the head, rather than flail his arms going 'deeeeah deaaah deaaah!!' at the top of his voice...
    do foxes respond?

Personally, if you can stretch to it, I'd Cerakote it and then re-evaluate. At that point it's a finished rifle and someone can thread it to their own spec if you have to sell it or you can keep it if you are able.

Z.

Thanks for the input chaps. Certainly food for thought. The rifle itself only really owes me a few hundred quid for parts - all labour was free ( me ). It's a tough one!!!! Jim.