Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non Trophy expectations?

Non Trophy expectations?

Just been thinking about hunting in the world of "Trophy" expeditions, I have no need of anything to put on the wall, and have no negative feelings about those who do, always a "Pothunter", I wondered if I might be thought of as an oddity just wanting to hunt generally, a bit like preferring the Hinds to the Stags if you like? Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Hi Steve
    Hunting is what you make it. Hunting management animals is just as challenging as hunting a trophy. If you need any help with anything please let me know or take a look at my website below.
    Cheers
    Adrian
    UK Agent for Settlers Safaris
    Grahamstown, South Africa
    Etosha Conservancy, Namibia
    Hunting Safaris | Big Game Hunting | Safari Hunter
    Home

I find it slightly odd. For me the trophy is the event/occasion not the animal. Not sure that leaving with a trophy head would make things more memorable. Especially as, the more one reads about such things the more it appears like a trophy comes at the expense of a good hunt.

I have never done it so accept that this could be an inaccurate understanding of the topic.

I like the web site!, didn't realise I was already describing management hunts
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

All of you do speak truth here...it is about the hunt / safari not the animal...so, nothing wrong with management / for the pot / biltong hunting...

I am the hunting industries for over 20 years and never had any trophies mounted on my walls, don't no why, just didn't see why...my 15 year old son has 4 trophies on the wall today that identify him as an up and coming hunter. I even didn't like to take photos of the quarry harvested back in the day...today I am very disappointed by not taking enough photos!

Patrick
    Last edited by Bushwack; 12-02-2016 at 12:02.
    Patrick Reynecke (Bushwack Safaris)
    Web: http://www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
    Mobile:+27 82 773 4099
    Mail: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    I like the web site!, didn't realise I was already describing management hunts

Thanks Steve, take a look around it and let me know if you want any further information. I'm not for from you.
    UK Agent for Settlers Safaris
    Grahamstown, South Africa
    Etosha Conservancy, Namibia
    Hunting Safaris | Big Game Hunting | Safari Hunter
    Home

People hunt for a mix of reasons, and I suspect that just collecting trophies as the main motivation is a minority pursuit. However, if the trophy is a by-product of an otherwise memorable hunt and serves to keep the memory of that experience alive, fine. That's why I have a tiny collection of trophies including a roebuck that no serious trophy hunter would ever bother to have mounted. But it matters to me. I'm very lucky in that I have a probable invitation to hunt chamois in France in the Autumn, but it's been made clear to me that I wouldn't have a tag for a mature male, just a youngster. This is fine by me, it's more than I could ever have expected anyway. If it happens and works out, I will still put the little horns on the wall as a tribute to a memorable hunt. And have the skin tanned too, because I think a chamois fur is probably a pretty unusual interior decorating feature in Ealing!

You're not alone. The trophy thing has never really lit my fire either. Much prefer a good couple of days on the hill after hinds than one day looking for a Stag. More interested in getting the cull balance right and preserving the best of the gene pool on the Roe than shooting the biggest.

I have a few heads on the wall. None of them are "trophies", but all of them have a great story attached to them. From the Red Stag with the unfeasible huge testicles that we spent the day looking for to the "Beast of Kildermorrie" who was a heavily battle scarred old Sika Stag, and the first Roe Buck I ever managed to call in during the rut. Great memories that deserved preserving and as a result a little grin appears on my face whenever I look at them.

Size really doesn't matter......
    So much to learn and so little time left

"Trophy" hunting does nothing for me, always been a "function over form" man. To me the stalk is the enjoyable bit, the shot is there to do a purpose - fill the freezer or meet cull requirements

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I've never gone out to specifically shoot a trophy. That said, I have a number of good sets of antlers on the wall, but only because those have belonged to the beasts that happened to walk out in front of me when I was stalking.

The trophy is the product of the animal that bore it, not the hunter that bores you talking about it
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!