Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: portable vehicle winch

portable vehicle winch

Does anyone have any experience of portable vehicle winches?

Are there any models that don't require any components to be fixed to your vehicle and simply hook on to your tow points and round a suitable fixed object such as a tree?

cheers
    Mike

Since you're talking about tow points etc. I assume you don't need a "real winch" (tow points are not suitable for HD recovery).

I've used Superwinch Winch-in-a-Bag and it's nice package for small tasks:

winch in a bag-2000, 1120149 - Superwinch

I guess it could be used for light recovery (e.g. vehicles with road tyres, and not bogged up too badly) but then you'd usually need an extension line since the pull is only 15m (and only very first meters provide the claimed 2000lbs pull).

I have two Winch Extension Straps from ARB (20m/4500kg) but anything with suitable length and strength could be used. Just make sure it doesn't stretch too much...

Quote Originally Posted by jthyttin View Post
    Since you're talking about tow points etc. I assume you don't need a "real winch" (tow points are not suitable for HD recovery).
    I have a Navara which I managed to get stuck in the silt that had been washed off the fields after all the rain we have had when I tried to turn the truck around off track.

I shot two Roe within 10 minutes then got stuck for 2 hours!! Had to get the farmer to pull me out. I'm just looking for something to hook me up to a tree, but sounds like you are suggesting I need more heavy-duty and fixed to do the job, as I feared.

Are u talking about 12v winches or a more tifor manual

Te tifors/ or cheaper copies are excellent and far more versitile as u don't need battery power plus plenty of rope. The 1.6T is a nice size not to heavy to carry and can double it up with a snatch block to increase load.
    I have pulled 2 Scottish power landy's out( tied to each other as cable was too short to reach the 1 that was stuck) with my 1600 doubled it up. Both those landy's had winches but werenae working.

I have thought about having a portable winch in past as u usually want to go backwards not forwards!
    I thought about welding a craddle/skid plate for winch and just have a chain/strap that attaches the skid plate to ur motor. So winch just skids along ground as motor is pulled

1 possible problem might be gettin power to it from the battery if having winch at back might take quite big cables and getting a good enough temp connection
    Last edited by countrryboy; 12-02-2016 at 15:37.

Hi Mike, I have had and used for many years a Superwinch. It is small but powerful and drops onto your towball when needed with an adaptor plate. The operator stands at the side and has a hand control to wind or unwind. I use it to drag my little boat up the beach. The contact info is Unit 5 Chalwyn Industrial Estate, Old Wareham Rd, Poole BH12 4PE, United Kingdom. Or just do a search on the net for Superwinch! Its always been reliable and I wouldn't be without it. Hope this is useful. Cheers Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jthyttin View Post

I've used Superwinch Winch-in-a-Bag and it's nice package for small tasks:

winch in a bag-2000, 1120149 - Superwinch
    That's what I use.

Attachment 66548

With the trailing power lead, or even a spare 12v battery I suppose, it is possible to use it remotely from the vehicle. I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these purpose made towball mounts as well:

Attachment 66549

http://www.goodwinch.com/shop/bak-ra...k-winch-mount/

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza308 View Post
    Hi Mike, I have had and used for many years a Superwinch. It is small but powerful and drops onto your towball when needed with an adaptor plate. The operator stands at the side and has a hand control to wind or unwind. I use it to drag my little boat up the beach. The contact info is Unit 5 Chalwyn Industrial Estate, Old Wareham Rd, Poole BH12 4PE, United Kingdom. Or just do a search on the net for Superwinch! Its always been reliable and I wouldn't be without it. Hope this is useful. Cheers Jerry
    Hi Jerry

yes, I saw this one and wondered if it would be up to the job.

So the adaptor plate sits on the towball rather than being affixed, that's the setup I'm after

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Are u talking about 12v winches or a more tifor manual
    no idea, just something I don't need to fix on permanently....unless someone nearby has the skills and is cheap!!

I've found that the Electric Winch Shop is good on pricing, check out the Superwinch 2500 for a bit more grunt:

http://www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/w...e-winches.html

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I've found that the Electric Winch Shop is good on pricing, check out the Superwinch 2500 for a bit more grunt:

http://www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/w...e-winches.html
    Don't suppose you have a working link to the users manual do you? Just want to see how it operates.