portable vehicle winch

Mickeydredd

Does anyone have any experience of portable vehicle winches?

Are there any models that don't require any components to be fixed to your vehicle and simply hook on to your tow points and round a suitable fixed object such as a tree?

cheers
Mike

Since you're talking about tow points etc. I assume you don't need a "real winch" (tow points are not suitable for HD recovery).

I've used Superwinch Winch-in-a-Bag and it's nice package for small tasks:

winch in a bag-2000, 1120149 - Superwinch

I guess it could be used for light recovery (e.g. vehicles with road tyres, and not bogged up too badly) but then you'd usually need an extension line since the pull is only 15m (and only very first meters provide the claimed 2000lbs pull).

I have two Winch Extension Straps from ARB (20m/4500kg) but anything with suitable length and strength could be used. Just make sure it doesn't stretch too much...

Since you're talking about tow points etc. I assume you don't need a "real winch" (tow points are not suitable for HD recovery).

I have a Navara which I managed to get stuck in the silt that had been washed off the fields after all the rain we have had when I tried to turn the truck around off track.

I shot two Roe within 10 minutes then got stuck for 2 hours!! Had to get the farmer to pull me out. I'm just looking for something to hook me up to a tree, but sounds like you are suggesting I need more heavy-duty and fixed to do the job, as I feared.

Are u talking about 12v winches or a more tifor manual

Te tifors/ or cheaper copies are excellent and far more versitile as u don't need battery power plus plenty of rope. The 1.6T is a nice size not to heavy to carry and can double it up with a snatch block to increase load.
I have pulled 2 Scottish power landy's out( tied to each other as cable was too short to reach the 1 that was stuck) with my 1600 doubled it up. Both those landy's had winches but werenae working.

I have thought about having a portable winch in past as u usually want to go backwards not forwards!
I thought about welding a craddle/skid plate for winch and just have a chain/strap that attaches the skid plate to ur motor. So winch just skids along ground as motor is pulled

1 possible problem might be gettin power to it from the battery if having winch at back might take quite big cables and getting a good enough temp connection

Last edited:
Hi Mike, I have had and used for many years a Superwinch. It is small but powerful and drops onto your towball when needed with an adaptor plate. The operator stands at the side and has a hand control to wind or unwind. I use it to drag my little boat up the beach. The contact info is Unit 5 Chalwyn Industrial Estate, Old Wareham Rd, Poole BH12 4PE, United Kingdom. Or just do a search on the net for Superwinch! Its always been reliable and I wouldn't be without it. Hope this is useful. Cheers Jerry

I've used Superwinch Winch-in-a-Bag and it's nice package for small tasks:

winch in a bag-2000, 1120149 - Superwinch

That's what I use.

View attachment 66548

With the trailing power lead, or even a spare 12v battery I suppose, it is possible to use it remotely from the vehicle. I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these purpose made towball mounts as well:

View attachment 66549

http://www.goodwinch.com/shop/bak-rak-towball-mounting-kits/small-bak-rak-winch-mount/

Hi Mike, I have had and used for many years a Superwinch. It is small but powerful and drops onto your towball when needed with an adaptor plate. The operator stands at the side and has a hand control to wind or unwind. I use it to drag my little boat up the beach. The contact info is Unit 5 Chalwyn Industrial Estate, Old Wareham Rd, Poole BH12 4PE, United Kingdom. Or just do a search on the net for Superwinch! Its always been reliable and I wouldn't be without it. Hope this is useful. Cheers Jerry

Hi Jerry

yes, I saw this one and wondered if it would be up to the job.

So the adaptor plate sits on the towball rather than being affixed, that's the setup I'm after

Cheers
Mike

Hi Jerry

yes, I saw this one and wondered if it would be up to the job.

So the adaptor plate sits on the towball rather than being affixed, that's the setup I'm after
Cheers
Mike

The adaptor plate bolts onto the bottom of the winch in my 1999 model and then hooks over the tow ball. So it will swing to the direction of the drag. Cheers Jerry

Actually my Superwinch Winch-in-a-Bag is from electricwinchshop also! Pound to Euro rate was more pleasant then...

If you have a Navara and decent tyres on it, and get it stuck, I'd say you need either driving instruction or a proper winch not these 2000lbs ones. IIRC Navara is frame-based (not self-supporting chassis) so the tow points should be OK for HD recovery if they're properly fixed to the frame.

Actually some manual wire rope winches (tirfor type) may have the grunt you need. But it would be more convenient and efficient to use electric winch with remote so you can operate the truck and winch at the same time.

I think I've seen an electric winch that had an eye to drop onto a ball hitch. Not much use unless you have ball hitches front and back, though.
Tirfor Tu32s will pull out most things if you have enough rope, the standard 10 meter wire that most have, means you have to do a bit at a time. I've got three of them that have come up on Ebay from time to time. They are often low-priced if there is no rope with them. The ropes are expensive, hence the low prices on winches that don't have them.

Last edited:
If you have a Navara and decent tyres on it, and get it stuck, I'd say you need either driving instruction or a proper winch not these 2000lbs ones. IIRC Navara is frame-based (not self-supporting chassis) so the tow points should be OK for HD recovery if they're properly fixed to the frame.

My 2005 D40 has Geolanders fitted. Unless I cant see the switch it does not have a difflock. Any sign of soft mud/grass on a slope kills it.

In fairness to the truck, I got stuck in more or less pure silt and it quickly bogged down.

I got pulled out by a Manitobe, hooked the chain on to the front tow point with no issue.

That winch in a box looks quite handy.

But u could adapt any winch to do that. The holes/brackets that u usually would mount onto truck body just attach either 1/2 shackles bobs ur uncle. Attach shackles to short rope to motor and it will just line up with the pull. Ur problem will be getting power to it, just a really long set of jump leads may work but might start to get voltage drop, thoose things draw a lot of power.

Stick to a tirfor type hand winch, i've always found those like wot Jto highlighted to be a complete waste of time and useless for anything serious. Usually very little cable on them as wot ever rating is fo the cable already doubled up.
Ur tirfor type are actually designed and ticketed to lift the wieght they state as a single pull, so can pull heavier wieghts

Back