costs of vapour/ beed blasting

Neil McKilloch will get this done for you, but cheaper to find a vapor/bead blaster and take it in yourself.

hi kenny,

i know neil very well, but I think he has more work than he can shake a stick at, at the moment and I don't want to load him up,

it can wait for a bit, I'm just shopping around.

for both this and a new to me 243.

bob

I took my last barrel to a local blasters, they stainless steel bead blasted it for me while i waited and charged £27 the finish was very nice much akin to that on a Copper

Ian.

Remember Bob you can blast/peen a mild steel workpiece with stainless shot ok but if you blast a stainless one with mild steel shot you will get rust.
Peening puts stress into the material surface so don't let anyone go wild with high energy shot media, or you could end up with a bent bang stick pipe! Best go with glass bead at lower pressure, however that won't take out heavy surface blemishes or dings.(Polish them out before blasting).
Any blasting of a barrel should be done with the workpiece rotating to impart even stress all round the diameter, exposing all the surface area to the same amount of blasting by feeding the nozzle steadily up the length (same as a lathe tool).

Ian

Remember Bob you can blast/peen a mild steel workpiece with stainless shot ok but if you blast a stainless one with mild steel shot you will get rust.
Peening puts stress into the material surface so don't let anyone go wild with high energy shot media, or you could end up with a bent bang stick pipe! Best go with glass bead at lower pressure, however that won't take out heavy surface blemishes or dings.(Polish them out before blasting).
Any blasting of a barrel should be done with the workpiece rotating to impart even stress all round the diameter, exposing all the surface area to the same amount of blasting by feeding the nozzle steadily up the length (same as a lathe tool).

Ian

cheers Ian

thank you once again most kind,

all noted and and I will let you know the outcome, going to see the rifle today on the way to work and if it's a goer it will be getting a skin clean

Bob.

Back