Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: As they lay

As they lay

We often take photo's of our culled deer.
    But this time something a bit different.
    The deer often die in some strange positions, and also die in damned difficult places to get them out.
    So, no hero/trophy shots with stalkers beaming with pride, just a photo of the deer in it's final resting place without having us move it for a photo.
    I'm sure i have a few but i will kick it off with this one shot at last light this afternoon, sorry about the quality.
    It was a horrendous extraction, in fact this hind was bigger than i thought, stalked and shot at 20 yards, she ended up in this ditch with a stream running through it.
    2 1/2 hours later of dragging and cursing i got it back to my truck.

Cheers

Richard

Richard ,I have a picture not a bad extraction but a photo of a a roe buck and fox as they lay . I shot the roe buck and while giving him the usual 10 mins this fox turned up and was about to have his breakfast !!
    If look closely you can see one of my favourite seats in the background where they were shot from .
    Cheers
    tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Richard ,I have a picture not a bad extraction but a photo of a a roe buck and fox as they lay . I shot the roe buck and while giving him the usual 10 mins this fox turned up and was about to have his breakfast !!
    If look closely you can see one of my favourite seats in the background where they were shot from .
    Cheers
    tom
    Excellent Tom, you have trumped mine!
    Something like that happened to me once, by the time i drove back to pick up the deer there were 3 foxes eating the gralloch, no time to get my gun though!
    Cheers
    Richard

Worst extraction I had, was in the new forest, I shot 3 hinds and 2 calves on a very cold morning, the ground was solid, so I dragged the deer to a opening at the edge of a bog, reversed the truck steadily all seemed well, it took me about 3/4 of a hour to drag and load the deer, went to move off, sunk like a brick, we had to get a forestry winch tractor to get me out, I thought the front would come of the truck, 3hrs later I got to the chiller.
    Shot a red stag right by the track, it ran straight into a thick patch of rohdadendram, had to drag it out on my hands and knees, it weighed 240lb dressed out, I threatened to cut it into bits to get it out.

2001 , had been horrendously wet year (seems normal now) I shot a poor fallow Buck and two prickets during the rut from a seat on one of my permissions on the Ashdown forest , really poor marshy field about six hundred metres from a track ...by the time I gralloched the three and started to drag the first one up and out it was dark and raining again , with my feet sinking , every footstep was a struggle , the beast fought me every inch of the way ..half an hour later , sweating , soaked and knackered I got to the van ..backed that down to the field edge and promptly got it stuck ...phoned my wife to bring the Range Rover and a rope while I went back for number two ..it ended two hours later with me learning a thing or two ...
    1 ..Age has caught up with me
    2 ..pulling the trigger is the easy bit
    3.. I need a quad .

My worst drag on the hill was seven and a half hours with an eighteen stone stag
    to where I could get a vehicle to it , not that far maybe eight hundred yards but difficult terrain several ravines and a boulder field to traverse

This brace were crossing the field, I was tucked up in the far corner of the picture....

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    This brace were crossing the field, I was tucked up in the far corner of the picture....
    Tim.243
    Nice one Tim.
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Nice one Tim.
    Cheers
    Richard
    My pleasure, just waiting for other pictures to start popping up...

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Most significant was my first solo stalk, I had two young boar. Having crept around the wood since dawn it was just getting to 10 am and I was starting to think of coffee, when these two came towards me. The first one turned into the hollow, presenting a "rising bank of soft earth" as a background. I shot the first one. Her sister, instead of running off, came back to sniff her as I waited a couple of minutes after. Very poignant...they were lying side by side with their noses touching at rest.

Alan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00495.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	665.3 KB 
ID:	66583Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00496.JPG 
Views:	238 
Size:	513.1 KB 
ID:	66584
    Last edited by Alantoo; 13-02-2016 at 11:07.