Tracking rifle

I am not going to abuse you for believing that, but I think I should fill you in on one of the great secrets about firearms ownership: Any time you can justify a new firearm purchase ("Honey. I just realized I don't have a Tracking Rifle! I need to rectify that ASAP!!...") you latch onto that Cause and ride it out to its conclusion. Otherwise you slide into the Abyss of Applied Practicality. You don't want that. :scared: ~Muir

(no. you don't want that.)

Essential advice for your mental health and wellbeing. Early signs of the start of the slide into said Abyss of Practicality, is the denial of hope over experience and ownership of a people carrier. Seek help and solace immediately, in old firearms catalogues. Deep breathing with your head in the gun cabinet will prevent early onset. A recently used cartridge case may be carried if out and about, as an emergency snorting dose, just enough to get you home, or to the range.

Essential advice for your mental health and wellbeing. Early signs of the start of the slide into said Abyss of Practicality, is the denial of hope over experience and ownership of a people carrier. Seek help and solace immediately, in old firearms catalogues. Deep breathing with your head in the gun cabinet will prevent early onset. A recently used cartridge case may be carried if out and about, as an emergency snorting dose, just enough to get you home, or to the range.

Ive suddenly realised I need a tracking rifle...

:lol: ~Muir

It looks to me as if a 'Tracking Rifle' (Of which I had never heard before) is no more and no less than a 'Scout Rifle', a concept which is often dismissed as 'Not up to date'. (I disagree, but then I would say that, because I have one!)
A Scout rifle is of course nothing more or less than the much older concept of a 'Jungle Carbine'.
All three should be light, short, pointable, robust and multi-purpose/all-round.
It looks as if the marketing-men at the rifle Brands that offer a 'Tracking Rifle' have re-invented the wheel!

I can't agree with you on that one Eric. Yes there may be some cross overs and similarities but they are not the same. What about a battue rifle then?

Last edited:
I've just realized , I don't have a battue rifle , does it ever end ? On the upside , I do have a Jungle and Jungle Scout , see above lol . It does seem like a bit of re-inventing the wheel , John Browning designed one back in 1894 .

AB

You lucky man Vigilaire not too many of them were imported into the U.K. I tried to buy a similar Tikka in .308 some years ago but GMK said that they didn't import them and it would have to be a special order with a wait of 6-9 months.

I know that the OP specifically mentioned a tracking RIFLE but how about a tracking gun rather than a rifle. I've noticed that many trackers in Europe tend to use a short barrelled double shotgun using slugs and many shotgun manufacturers made special guns with 24" barrels or less and rifle sights for just such a purpose.

I managed to pick up one of these a couple of months back, mint mint mint, 14 shots only, in the box etc etc. Calibre is 30-06. Doubles up well as a 'tracker' and driven boar rifle, been feeding it Privi 180gr SP's and I love it. Currently enjoying the fixed sights.

http://tikka.fi/sites/default/files/battuelightW.pdf
Very nice! The Cabelas in the city had seven winter camo pattern/ synthetic stock versions of same in 338 Win Mag. I wanted one badly -tossed and turned over them- but after a year on the rack untouched they suddenly disappeared. Sent to another store, I'd imagine. ~Muir

You lucky man Vigilaire not too many of them were imported into the U.K. I tried to buy a similar Tikka in .308 some years ago but GMK said that they didn't import them and it would have to be a special order with a wait of 6-9 months.

I know that the OP specifically mentioned a tracking RIFLE but how about a tracking gun rather than a rifle. I've noticed that many trackers in Europe tend to use a short barrelled double shotgun using slugs and many shotgun manufacturers made special guns with 24" barrels or less and rifle sights for just such a purpose.
I have an Over-under slug gun shortish bbls with open sights it was made by Sabatti and was dirt cheap new as it was not selling, nicely made too.

A lot of guides here carry various 12 gauge , slug loaded , shotguns while out for bear . The older Ithaca Deerslayer bottom eject models have always been popular for back up when tracking bear after the shot . An old friend of mine uses a cut down Baikal SxS , I forget which model , while guiding for bear . It looks a lot like Muir's pictured above . It is a really versatile little firearm .

AB

Back