Tracking rifle

welshwarrior

A conversation the other day got me thinking about the guys that do deer recovery with dogs when someone cocks it up. The guy I was talking to suggested his preferred option was a no frills 308 with 18" barrel with a 1:10 twist.

What do you look for in your tracking rifle?

I don't wound enough to justify a specific 'tracking rifle', but see no reason why a 'tracking rifle' wouldn't share the qualities of any other stalking rifle you'd wish to carry afield.

Or something like this.
4dcaa87dc40650991b05588b29260a71.jpg
Merkel K1 tracking

Or what i use.

image.jpeg

Perfect for our needs. The cock and de cock means it's absolutely safe when carried and can only be discharged when cocked.

What do you look for in your tracking rifle? A calibre for which I can use a range of bullet loads. Capable of carrying 5 rounds. A short barrel. Quick release scope. Iron sights. Furniture which can take a beating going through the undergrowth.

Interesting to note the sling attachment to the end of the barrel. Plus the lack of moderator and bi pod that seems to be required for shooting in the UK. Wonder how they still manage with out them?

For tracking you don't need a bipod and a moderator defeats the use of a short barrel and just gets in the way. Much as i love my M03 extreme i don't understand how the tracking model with a short barrel and orange stock inserts cost so much extra. I like the Merkel K1 tracking and they make it in 9.3x62. Bet thats fun to shoot.

Marlin 336 in .30-30 or Savage 99A in .308 Win are great "tracking rifles" for the woods.
BLR would be next, along with pump actions and semiautomatic carbines like the Benelli and Browning.

Some requirements for me.

1. If you are going to get charged by a stag or a boar make sure you have more than one quick shot available.
2. Short barrel because you may have to drag it through scrub, low bushes, hands and knees to find game.
3. Sling because you may have to hold the tracking leash.
4. Low powered scope or aimpoint for a fast shot if the animal bolts after the bailup.

That's why a sauer 3000 drilling comes in handy. Three barrels, no jams.

My 308 Ruger Scout Rifle would also make an ideal tracking gun , lovely & short 1/10 twist 16-1/2" barrel , Picatinny rail for Aimpoint sight & lamp if needed ....

Get yourself a marlin 336, designed as a easy carry, quick to aim, 7rounds, open sights, or fit some see through mounts and a scope.

Back