Finding a courier company to import a rifle?

deeangeo

OK so I found a rifle I want to import and this can be done fairly simply from an EU RFD to a UK RFD who can then sign the rifle onto my FAC.
No problem so far.

Now I want to find a courier company to arrange collection from the RFD in the EU & ship to RFD in UK.
This is where I hit a brick wall.
None of the couriers I have spoken to - all the usual ones you'd think of, they all have a list of prohibitions that include shipping any kind of firearm.

Suggestions please...the RFD in the EU has the same problem.
Surely there must a be a means of legally importing/exporting & arranging for a carrier to ship firearms?

Richard Whiteley aka Gunrunner used to specialize in that sort of thing - I expect he still does as he has some web pages. A nicer more trustworthy man you will not find. I expect he will know the courier situation.
Contact GunRunner

Ian

I imported a rifle from the US last year. I tried sorting it myself and just turned into a nightmare. I ended up using London Gun Services, all I had to do was pay the bill at the end, very helpful and user-friendly company.
Now spill the beans, what are you buying, I know your taste in rifles.

I imported a rifle from the US last year. I tried sorting it myself and just turned into a nightmare. I ended up using London Gun Services, all I had to do was pay the bill at the end, very helpful and user-friendly company.
Now spill the beans, what are you buying, I know your taste in rifles.

If I can ever get it sorted...a MSch. but I'll keep quiet about the details just now as others may well be looking! :scared:

Think out of the box DG. Think out of the box!

You need someone who has a presence BOTH on the continent and in the UK. That used to be Holland's with a store in Paris and, of course, London. The Paris store has now closed.

But many of the big auction houses have a day in France where they view items to be consigned to their London sales. Gavin Gardiner and Holt's, possibly, too Bonham's. So all will have to get these weapons into the UK.

Contact them, be open and honest about what you want to achieve and ask if they can and how much it would cost.

But a MSch? Please! Like "Yorkshire tea" and Frankenstein's monster they are best left in the place they were created and not inflicted on other folk elsewhere!

Last edited:
Think out of the box DG. Think out of the box!

You need someone who has a presence BOTH on the continent and in the UK. That used to be Holland's with a store in Paris and, of course, London. The Paris store has now closed.

But many of the big auction houses have a day in France where they view items to be consigned to their London sales. Gavin Gardiner and Holt's, possibly, too Bonham's. So all will have to get these weapons into the UK.

Contact them, be open and honest about what you want to achieve and ask if they can and how much it would cost.

But a MSch? Please! Like "Yorkshire tea" and Frankenstein's monster they are best left in the place they were created and not inflicted on other folk elsewhere!

What an odd thing to say especially as the Mannlicher Schoenauer was once the essence of a English sporting rifles to be used on the Hill in Scotland as was it's forerunner the Model 1892. W D M Bell felled many Elephants using both models and is was one of THE rifles favoured for safari in the late 19th and early 20th century. The rifles simply oozed quality of workmanship that is sadly missing in most modern production.

I had the good fortune to shoot a Muntjac using a nice model 1903 fitted with a Khales 4x42 scope many years ago and shot severl of the ealrier Model 1892's in 6.5mm rimmed on the Bisley running deer range plus a fellow club member bought a nice restored Gibbs Schoneauer in 256 Gibbs Magnum that i got to have a few shots with. The gamekeepr and guide whos Model 1903 I used also had a really nice Schoeanuer GK in 7x64 which I think he left to his grandson upon his death a few years back.

Yes I am rather fond on the Mannlichers of this genre something I cannot say of the modern ones.

Back