Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Folding knife advice please

Folding knife advice please

Hello all I'm After a folding lock knife for gralloch etc, budget around £50 any ideas you fellas, any input would be good.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I'm not a big fan of folders for gralloching, but the EKA Swingblade is popular. Clearly it needs a sheath so isn't quite a full folder in the classic sense. Personally I found the gutting blade unnecessary.

Looking at Heinnie Haynes website, EKA offer the Swede 8 for 25.95 or the Swede 10 for 36.95 which have similar main blade designs.

The Cold Steel Finnwolf is also within your budget.

Or you can go for something more old-skool like a Buck or Schrade.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Hello all I'm After a folding lock knife for gralloch etc, budget around £50 any ideas you fellas, any input would be good.
    Im a big fan of the Ontario RAT folder, theres 2 sizes (large and small!), though I use a fixed blade primarily. Strong, easy to clean and holds a great edge, good price too (less than £40 if you shop around)

I have a Martiini folder and it is a good size, strong blade good for gralloch and skinning. Can shave with it. And a realistic price. Try Moonraker Knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post

Hello, I use the Helle Dokka folding knife, this is a lovely knife to use and holds its edge well, normally over £100 but Bushwear have it for just £74 on special.
    Search results for: 'Dokka'

A bit more (£69) gets you one of these Spyderco Pacific Salt | Heinnie Haynes (recommend the plain edge)

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Heinnie Haynes - EKA Swede 10 for 36.95 .
    This is a superb knife for the money. Buy it in orange, and you shouldn't lose it in the field! You might even find it for a couple of quid cheaper if you shop around.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Yeh........ DON'T. Best advice I ever had was folding knives, even if lockable, are not the best for gralloching, unless they have a high 'lump' to stop your fingers sliding onto the blade when your hands are cold and wet with blood. Same goes for many fixed blade ones too. I see some very nice knives advertised for the job but I wouldn't use them! I value my skin too highly, however some stalkers use them and good luck to them. Just not for me. Cheers Jerry

Thank you very much to everyone who has replied, I have ordered a eka swede 10 for £33 with free shipping, went for the orange handle as suggested by Mr Farticus, the cold steel looks a nice knife as does the the RAT, but I do have a fixed blade Helle, so just wanted something to chuck in my coat pocket. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

I personally don't think EKA blades have very good edge retention. Its a pity because the ergonomics are good and the rubberised handle is one of the best and grippiest and most secure. That said, if you must use a folder for gralloching I'd always go with a liner lock over a back lock because they are so much easier to clean. And with that in kind I'd avoid knives with pocket clips, or at least pick one where the clip can be removed because they get in the way and trap gunk and hair.
    I've got an EKA swingblade and I don't like the blade shape either. Its too deep bellied. A drop point is best.
    They are well made for the money though. I just wish mine could keep an edge. I only use the swingblade now as a larder skinning knife.
    Last edited by Finch; 14-02-2016 at 01:49.