Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Renewal - advice in anticipation please

  1. #1

    Renewal - advice in anticipation please

    I'm due for renewal in 2017, currently with Cheshire.
    It seems we will finally be moving to Monmouthshire, to a smallholding with 25 acres. I wont know anyone there for a while and obtaining a permission with a substantial acreage could take some time.
    I am reasonably confident that my .22, .17hornet, and probably .223 (fox) will be safe on the land - its miles from anyone else, no public footpaths etc. and we will have stock Chickens, geese etc to protect, a high seat is a priority.

    The .308 is currently used for purchased stalking and that will remain the case unless we get a few strays on the land or the boar from the forest of Dean decide to swim over. Whilst I have posted here before and been advised I could buy stalking in the area (after making a positive impression on local stalking owners), I wonder whether with my new firearms constabulary I will need my own land for the .308 ?
    Anyone know the local area who could advise please ?
    If anyone on here owns or could advise on local stalking purchase that would also be very helpful and gratefully received as a few local stalks would establish need for the .308.
    Thanks chaps.

    P.S. Ope ticket on all rifles.
    Last edited by kes; 13-02-2016 at 16:00.

  2. #2
    You don't need land for then.308, just need receipts and bookings to show that you use it on a paid stalking basis....

  3. #3
    If you have a open ticket on your rifles there should be no problem, you previously showed usage.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post
    I'm due for renewal in 2017, currently with Cheshire.
    It seems we will finally be moving to Monmouthshire, to a smallholding with 25 acres. I wont know anyone there for a while and obtaining a permission with a substantial acreage could take some time.
    I am reasonably confident that my .22, .17hornet, and probably .223 (fox) will be safe on the land - its miles from anyone else, no public footpaths etc. and we will have stock Chickens, geese etc to protect, a high seat is a priority.

    The .308 is currently used for purchased stalking and that will remain the case unless we get a few strays on the land or the boar from the forest of Dean decide to swim over. Whilst I have posted here before and been advised I could buy stalking in the area (after making a positive impression on local stalking owners), I wonder whether with my new firearms constabulary I will need my own land for the .308 ?
    Anyone know the local area who could advise please ?
    If anyone on here owns or could advise on local stalking purchase that would also be very helpful and gratefully received as a few local stalks would establish need for the .308.
    Thanks chaps.

    P.S. Ope ticket on all rifles.
    I envy you moving to my home county, and I've got news for you, the boar have been across the Wye for a number of years and can pop up on the Welsh side of the river anywhere between Monmouth and Chepstow but they're not spreading west at the same rate. There are plenty of fallow (mostly around Monmouth and down the Wye valley) plus relatively newly arrived roe and muntjac. As others have said you'll be OK with your .308 but if you want a stalk Elmer Fudd on here is your man.

  5. #5
    When I get sorted, I'll e-mail Elmer, many thanks for the help so far. I'll keep an eye open for any boar and report back. Its a truly beautiful place and I cant wait to get a few Herefords and a highland or two - my own turkey for Christmas??

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post
    When I get sorted, I'll e-mail Elmer, many thanks for the help so far. I'll keep an eye open for any boar and report back. Its a truly beautiful place and I cant wait to get a few Herefords and a highland or two - my own turkey for Christmas??
    Nothing wrong with Hereford beef but I understand Dexters are a good animal for small holdings. Whereabouts in Monmouthshire are you setting up?

  7. #7
    You don't need to worry about any of this stuff. You "have good reason" in the fact that you already stalk and intend to continue to do so. That's all you need. Don't get caught up in all this trying to make a case for ownership.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    Nothing wrong with Hereford beef but I understand Dexters are a good animal for small holdings. Whereabouts in Monmouthshire are you setting up?
    Hi Paul - its not far from Trelleck.

Similar Threads

  1. Renewal
    By cervus in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 13-05-2015, 06:35
  2. S.A.C.S Renewal
    By JAYB in forum Announcements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-10-2014, 14:02
  3. renewal
    By bobjs in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 27-07-2014, 22:18
  4. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 28-03-2011, 18:33
  5. Pre trip anticipation
    By limulus in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 19:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •