Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortening Barrel/threading on .308

Shortening Barrel/threading on .308

Hi all,

got my hands on an almost new Sako 75 Hunter 111 in Calibre .308.
    From the Sako website i think the twist rate is 11" and barrel length of 22 7/16"(57cm).

It is currently not screwcut for a moderator, and I was wondering if i should get it shortened (and re-crowned?) at the same time as getting it screw-cut for a moderator.

Can it be shortened by about 2 inches for example without loosing accuracy and without increasing recoil/muzzle flash/muzzle flip, or am i better leaving it as is? What costs should i expect?

Also, what thread-size is best to get done or does it not matter?

Many thanks for suggestions!

The threading/crowning will shorten it a tad but nowhere near enough to loose accuracy,unless its bodged up,and as regards the thread you could go with sakos/tikkas own or choose one yourself to fit any moderator you have for it ,or are purchasing for it,or as some more officianadoes on here will say leave it alone,the costs anything from forty quid up,,,,your a lucky bugger to have the choice,,good luck with the rifle i.m going for a sulk now,,,atb doug
    DONT START

There is no connection between length and accuracy.

By all means, cut it back to around 20", get it threaded and recrowned, fit a nice light mod. It will be all the better for it.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    There is no connection between length and accuracy. .....
    I think that over 200 years of firearms development would disagree with you on that generalisation.

Thanks for that so far! Would muzzle blast be more of problem when shortened to 20 inch as i would still like to be able to /have to use the rifle un-moderated as well?

I have a 308 with 20 inch barrel...though theoretically there should be a small difference...i sure cant tell the difference from a 22 incher on muzzle blast.

I had my 308 shortened from 24 to 20 in and only lost 50fps

Quote Originally Posted by flying felix View Post
    I think that over 200 years of firearms development would disagree with you on that generalisation.
    I'm all ears. Give me some references and I'll read all night.

I am referring to common stalking rifles. Cutting a 24" 308 down to 18 or 20". I dont mean something stupid like cutting a 7mm mag down to 9".
    Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    There is no connection between length and accuracy.

By all means, cut it back to around 20", get it threaded and recrowned, fit a nice light mod. It will be all the better for it.
    From my reading and understanding I thought there was a connection...one was likely to get better accuracy from a shortened barrel because of the reduced amount of whip?

There would however be a slight loss of velocity given the same ammunition. 50FPs per inch?

My first .308 had a 19" barrel and the replacement has a 22 1/2" the first one was nicer to swing around, felt better balanced in hand. But in fact I never shoot the thing unsupported so the pointability does not pertain.

I haven't noticed any other advantage or disadvantage noise or recoil wise.

The only thing I have noticed is that I carry the rifle muzzle down and I have twice touched the muzzle on the ground when manoeuvring through undergrowth... three inches less and I would have cleared it. I always have a bit of insulting tape across the muzzle...

Alan

PS. I ordered a 20 inch barrel for the replacement gun. Halfway through the wait I was told that I could have the 22" in two weeks but the 20" could be months away...I got a quote of 125 to shorten and screw cut the barrel and reckoned I could always do that if I did not like the extra length...I may still do...but I have left it long for the last year or so.
    Last edited by Alantoo; 13-02-2016 at 19:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    From my reading and understanding I thought there was a connection...one was likely to get better accuracy from a shortened barrel because of the reduced amount of whip?
    Sorry, maybe I did not make myself clear.

I meant to say there is no reason that shortening a barrel should result in a loss of accuracy. This seems to be a regular concern here. Of course, if the work is done badly....

As you say, in theory, a shorter barrel should be stiffer than s longer barrel of similar diameter. I notice though that the long range bench rest guys seem to use barrels in the 28-30" bracket.
    Brian.