Shortening Barrel/threading on .308

wildfly

Hi all,

got my hands on an almost new Sako 75 Hunter 111 in Calibre .308.
From the Sako website i think the twist rate is 11" and barrel length of 22 7/16"(57cm).

It is currently not screwcut for a moderator, and I was wondering if i should get it shortened (and re-crowned?) at the same time as getting it screw-cut for a moderator.

Can it be shortened by about 2 inches for example without loosing accuracy and without increasing recoil/muzzle flash/muzzle flip, or am i better leaving it as is? What costs should i expect?

Also, what thread-size is best to get done or does it not matter?

Many thanks for suggestions!

The threading/crowning will shorten it a tad but nowhere near enough to loose accuracy,unless its bodged up,and as regards the thread you could go with sakos/tikkas own or choose one yourself to fit any moderator you have for it ,or are purchasing for it,or as some more officianadoes on here will say leave it alone,the costs anything from forty quid up,,,,your a lucky bugger to have the choice,,good luck with the rifle i.m going for a sulk now;),,,atb doug

There is no connection between length and accuracy.

By all means, cut it back to around 20", get it threaded and recrowned, fit a nice light mod. It will be all the better for it.

Thanks for that so far! Would muzzle blast be more of problem when shortened to 20 inch as i would still like to be able to /have to use the rifle un-moderated as well?

I have a 308 with 20 inch barrel...though theoretically there should be a small difference...i sure cant tell the difference from a 22 incher on muzzle blast.

I think that over 200 years of firearms development would disagree with you on that generalisation.

I'm all ears. Give me some references and I'll read all night.

I am referring to common stalking rifles. Cutting a 24" 308 down to 18 or 20". I dont mean something stupid like cutting a 7mm mag down to 9".

There is no connection between length and accuracy.

By all means, cut it back to around 20", get it threaded and recrowned, fit a nice light mod. It will be all the better for it.

From my reading and understanding I thought there was a connection...one was likely to get better accuracy from a shortened barrel because of the reduced amount of whip?

There would however be a slight loss of velocity given the same ammunition. 50FPs per inch?

My first .308 had a 19" barrel and the replacement has a 22 1/2" the first one was nicer to swing around, felt better balanced in hand. But in fact I never shoot the thing unsupported so the pointability does not pertain.

I haven't noticed any other advantage or disadvantage noise or recoil wise.

The only thing I have noticed is that I carry the rifle muzzle down and I have twice touched the muzzle on the ground when manoeuvring through undergrowth... three inches less and I would have cleared it. I always have a bit of insulting tape across the muzzle...

Alan

PS. I ordered a 20 inch barrel for the replacement gun. Halfway through the wait I was told that I could have the 22" in two weeks but the 20" could be months away...I got a quote of £125 to shorten and screw cut the barrel and reckoned I could always do that if I did not like the extra length...I may still do...but I have left it long for the last year or so.

Last edited:
From my reading and understanding I thought there was a connection...one was likely to get better accuracy from a shortened barrel because of the reduced amount of whip?

Sorry, maybe I did not make myself clear.

I meant to say there is no reason that shortening a barrel should result in a loss of accuracy. This seems to be a regular concern here. Of course, if the work is done badly....

As you say, in theory, a shorter barrel should be stiffer than s longer barrel of similar diameter. I notice though that the long range bench rest guys seem to use barrels in the 28-30" bracket.

Sorry, maybe I did not make myself clear.

I meant to say there is no reason that shortening a barrel should result in a loss of accuracy. This seems to be a regular concern here. Of course, if the work is done badly....

As you say, in theory, a shorter barrel should be stiffer than s longer barrel of similar diameter. I notice though that the long range bench rest guys seem to use barrels in the 28-30" bracket.

Sorry I missed out the :) ...I knew that was what you meant!

I also guess the long range stuff is trying to get as much velocity as possible, rather than any improved accuracy, by using the long barrels.

Alan

I think that over 200 years of firearms development would disagree with you on that generalisation.

Things have a changed a fair amount in 200 years, we use centrefire now ;) we also use scopes (mainly) and the ONLY reason that the MYTH that long barrels were more accurate started, and persisted, is due to the increased sight radius they offer which is irrelevant on a scoped rifle.
All barrel lengths (and cartridges, and rifles, and scopes, and bullets etc) have their plus and minus points, I think that is obvious.

Short barrels are stiffer than long when the same profile but the variables are so numerous that even that isn't a certainty.

Regards the OP, shortening it a couple inches as part of the thread job will cause no problems. Personally I wouldn't bother, 22" is a nice length as is.

I reduced my 308 down to 16", and it shoots 150g @ 2700fps, and once I found the right load, it shoots better than I can.

Did it for a woodland stalking rifle, but I really enjoy using it, and it comes out more, and more often.

Am I the only one who wonders at this assumption that for target shooting maximum accuracy is required yet so-so will do for live quarry?

Surely it should be the other way around!

Shortened my sauer down to 18" for stalking in dense commercial woodland. It certainly makes it easier to duck under branches and it that little bit lighter. I do also occasionally take off hand shots (I know there will be gasps of disapproval) when coming across deer at short range. So it's pointability and ease of getting off the shoulder help. I have no trouble getting 150 and 165 grain projectiles upto speed. I do use a maxim moderator which makes the rifle very nice to use. To be honest I always use the mod as it balances the rifle perfectly. It is however a 1:10 twist so may perform differently to yours. 20" shouldn't be a problem though.

Thanks all for replies, after reading all replies i think i'll shorten to 20" and get a light reflex moderator like the Hardy Gen IV or Atek Maxim.

Would one suit better and are there others that are light and add little to the total length of the setup that i should consider?.

The rifle will hopefully be used for boar in Germany next autumn :D so should still do that job unmoderated......

Thanks all for replies, after reading all replies i think i'll shorten to 20" and get a light reflex moderator like the Hardy Gen IV or Atek Maxim.

Would one suit better and are there others that are light and add little to the total length of the setup that i should consider?.

The rifle will hopefully be used for boar in Germany next autumn :D so should still do that job unmoderated......

Just got a DPT Duralium over barrel,its very good so far,also have a couple of Lawrence Precision Titanium over barrels which are also very good...........

I have got and used an atec cmm4 end mounted mod. It is lighter than the maxim and only adds a couple inches back to the length. However I prefer that little extra weight as it does reduce the muzzle flip to the point where about half the time I manage to see the strike. I almost never saw it with the cmm4.

Back