Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: shooting aids

  1. #1

    shooting aids

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0042.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	683.5 KB 
ID:	1140I Was looking to purchase a shooting tripod but could not decide on which model, looking on the forum i noticed that a lot of stalkers use B&Q poles, as i am living in france at the moment i went to my local garden centre and found 2mtr alumimium plastic coverd poles at 2.4 euros each, i soon made up a tripod and went off to my local range to try it.
    my results were poor to say the least i got a 4inch group at 50 yards and a 7inch at 100 so back to the drawing board. I found a mention of quad sticks on the forum so i added two more sticks. i placed the rifle so it sat between the fore and aft supports and fixed the distance between them using twine. today i went back to the range with my new contraption and put six rounds of 58gr vmax in a half inch group at 100 yards which is far better than i can do on the bench, at the moment i find it a bit of a fiddle to set up but i am going to take it out rabbiting when i am back in the uk to see if i can get quick at it.

    cheers Geoff
    Last edited by geoffrey; 24-05-2010 at 05:45.

  2. #2
    Well done, any pictures of your new contraption. I am a firm B&Q man but somehow persuaded myself that I need one of these http://www.browntroutsporting.co.uk/...g-sticks.shtml. They'll be here on Monday, feel slightly unwell at the price.

  3. #3
    hi 375win i will take a picture tomorrow and try to post it

    regards geoff
    Last edited by geoffrey; 23-05-2010 at 19:18.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
    hi 375win i will take a picture tomorrow and try to post it

    regards geoff
    Great. Cheers 375Win

  5. #5
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,035
    Quote Originally Posted by 375win View Post
    Well done, any pictures of your new contraption. I am a firm B&Q man but somehow persuaded myself that I need one of these http://www.browntroutsporting.co.uk/...g-sticks.shtml. They'll be here on Monday, feel slightly unwell at the price.
    seen them and tried them before by the time you have set them up to take the shot the beasts have legged it and long gone

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0042.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	683.5 KB 
ID:	1140I Was looking to purchase a shooting tripod but could not decide on which model, looking on the forum i noticed that a lot of stalkers use B&Q poles, as i am living in france at the moment i went to my local garden centre and found 2mtr alumimium plastic coverd poles at 2.4 euros each, i soon made up a tripod and went off to my local range to try it.
    my results were poor to say the least i got a 4inch group at 50 yards and a 7inch at 100 so back to the drawing board. I found a mention of quad sticks on the forum so i added two more sticks. i placed the rifle so it sat between the fore and aft supports and fixed the distance between them using twine. today i went back to the range with my new contraption and put six rounds of 58gr vmax in a half inch group at 100 yards which is far better than i can do on the bench, at the moment i find it a bit of a fiddle to set up but i am going to take it out rabbiting when i am back in the uk to see if i can get quick at it.

    cheers Geoff
    I am always of the opinion that positional shooting should not be done at a zeroing target with the aim of getting a group but at a roe target with a view to 'would that have been a dead deer', 'how would it have reacted', 'what would the damage have been' or a empty baked bean can with a view to hitting it anywhere is fine. What i'm saying is that shooting off sticks is about one good shot taken quickly and confidently with the minimum of faffing around. To be honest, if most of us shot for a group off sticks at 100m then you would see plenty of 7'' groups and more than a few 2 foot groups! All the wannabe snipers will pitch in now and talk about MOA's etc whilst those that shoot enough wild woodland deer will be nodding! JC

  7. #7
    Hi JC275 thanks for your comments, at the age of sixty four i find my shooting both shotgun and rifle shooting lacking i can no longer pick clays out of the sky with ease neither can i regulary shoot less than a one inch group at 100 yards. so any piece of equipment which enables me to shoot better is good, i know that this contraption i have made takes a while to get on target but when you are it is super steady, and you can still use it as a bipod or tripod. if i find it too clumbersom i will stick it in the garden and grow sweet peas up it,

    regards geoff

  8. #8
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,035
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
    Hi JC275 thanks for your comments, at the age of sixty four i find my shooting both shotgun and rifle shooting lacking i can no longer pick clays out of the sky with ease neither can i regulary shoot less than a one inch group at 100 yards. so any piece of equipment which enables me to shoot better is good, i know that this contraption i have made takes a while to get on target but when you are it is super steady, and you can still use it as a bipod or tripod. if i find it too clumbersom i will stick it in the garden and grow sweet peas up it,

    regards geoff
    Yep I will go along with that one they will make a good climbing frame if nothing else

    I just use a thumb stick racked at arms length with the bottom of the stick hard against my foot the fulcrum is ideal and ridged enough to shoot from whilst standing if sitting i use it in a 3 positional fix using the rifle resting on my grasp hand whilst locking into by thighs with my elbows completely ridgid, rarely do i get the chance to shoot prone as the height of the grass prevents it so choose sitting to all my shooting positions , Best thing you can do with your praying mantice contraption is like you say , use it for supporting sweet peas in my opinion
    Stu
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 24-05-2010 at 14:37.

  9. #9

    Shooting aids

    I use just 4 sticks as do many others,they are quick enough to put up if you practice,light enough to carry and at least 5 times steadier than 2 sticks especially in a wind, it's not a faff when you are used to them and they are much more likely to ensure a humane kill it is worth it in my opinion.
    You can shoot to 150 M easily.
    One complaint is that they are hard to align, but if you add the webbing as in the photo this is no longer a problem.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1266.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	503.6 KB 
ID:	1580Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1268.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	497.5 KB 
ID:	1581

  10. #10
    hi riverman i will add some straps and give it a go, i have been using it recently when working up loads as i find it much more steady than anything i have used in the past.
    regards geoff

Similar Threads

  1. Shooting in Spain
    By WinchesterStalker in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2010, 22:59
  2. Simulated shooting - see latest Shooting & Conservation
    By charadam in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 30-06-2008, 16:18
  3. Shooting Community
    By sandersj89 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 31-05-2008, 20:08
  4. DSC1 Training Aids
    By csl in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-01-2008, 14:46
  5. bird shooting
    By bobt in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2007, 20:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •