Do you wash mud off wild boar carcass?

liongeorge

When you guys shoot a boar that is caked in mud do you wash it off before hanging it or just leave it to dry . Perhaps you wash it before skinning or not at all.
This is for personal consumption.

I am not inclined to wash it as it has been graloched and it will get mud all inside. But I am also aware that it will get muddy when I skin it without a great deal of care.

Anyway help much appreciated.

tricky one minimal use of water with any.carcase is best and I didn't need to clean my one and only boar as it wasn't body shot and nice and clean had it been plastered I'd have been tempted to wash off pre gralloch if time and facilities allowed ie I could get it to the larder straight away wash off and suspended gralloch just my thoughts
Norma

l

We don't have a lot of mud so the boar where i live don't get caked. I allways suspend boar for gutting. They do have a lot of grit and sticks sometimes so i suspend them and brush them off with a stiff yard broom before gutting.
Eitherway try to not let the boar hair touch the meat when skinning. So clean them first and if you feel they are very muddy hose them down and let them drain and then gut.

Last edited:
We don't have a lot of mud so the boar where i live don't get caked. I allways suspend boar for gutting. They do have a lot of grit and sticks sometimes so i suspend them and brush them off with a stiff yard broom before gutting.
Eitherway try to not let the boar hair touch the meat when skinning. So clean them first and if you feel they are very muddy hose them down and let them drain and then gut.

Thanks jagare, unfortunately we do not have the luxury of larder facilities so a gutting has to take place on sight . So the boar is now home and gutted but caked in mud.
This leads me to another question can you leave boar quite a long time before gutting them or are they like deer and the sooner the better? As this might effect future action as I can get them back to a hose off area but it may take some hours after shot.

Morning LG,

After shooting I get the animal to a place where I can get vehicle access, not always easy that's for sure. Once back at the larder I hang the boar, take the hose to it and wash off as much mud and dirt as physically possible, once washed down I then do a a suspended gralloch. I don't make any incisions in the field, tempting as it is to drop the insides out to lighten the drag it is just too messy. I am lucky to have good facilities on hand and appreciate that without them it is very difficult.

It is almost impossible to finish up with totally spotless boar carcass, and I gurantee you will still end up sweeping dirt off the floor after you have skinned it off.

Good luck.

ATB

T

Thanks jagare, unfortunately we do not have the luxury of larder facilities so a gutting has to take place on sight . So the boar is now home and gutted but caked in mud.
This leads me to another question can you leave boar quite a long time before gutting them or are they like deer and the sooner the better? As this might effect future action as I can get them back to a hose off area but it may take some hours after shot.

As the boar is gutted then get someone to hold the skin away from the boar as you skin. There's a lot more knife work skinning a boar than a deer. Like Thomas i would only gut boar suspended. I tend to shoot most boar in the colder months as my old fridge is to small to take anything larger than roe. If the weathers not to warm then you can leave for a couple of hours no problem.
As Thomas said you still get dirt on the floor after skinning no matter what you do. Filthy animals boar:) but i do like the smell of a yearling boar.

Thanks guys. Will get a mate to give me hand to skin it , did the last one on my own but with someone holding the skin while I do the knife should be able to keep it clean ish.

How long do you hang them for before butchering ?or is it like pigs just get on with it as soon as. This one is about 3-4 year old I recon.

Thanks guys. Will get a mate to give me hand to skin it , did the last one on my own but with someone holding the skin while I do the knife should be able to keep it clean ish.

How long do you hang them for before butchering ?or is it like pigs just get on with it as soon as. This one is about 3-4 year old I recon.

If you want to hang them for a while they will keep much better with the skin on. I skin off the day before a carcass is sold or butchered, that way it will dry off nicely and set up well in the chiller..........

i usually skin them carefully and they dont get dirty. then hose them down and dry them for 2-3 days

As per Thomas, if the shot animal is filthy (most are!) I retrieve carcass back to larder and wash the whole animal off before performing a suspended gralloch. Much cleaner this way.

On a German driven hunt all boar taken back Un gutted to larder. Hung up by the jaw and pressure washed clean with cold water. Left to drip dry before being gutted. Any badly shot meat eg rib cage also cut away.

I would NOT use warm water - just encourages any bugs to grow.

On a German driven hunt all boar taken back Un gutted to larder. Hung up by the jaw and pressure washed clean with cold water. Left to drip dry before being gutted. Any badly shot meat eg rib cage also cut away.

I would NOT use warm water - just encourages any bugs to grow.

Never been my experience, all have to be gutted at the gralloch break mid drive or immediately at the end of the drive. Never seen any taken back whole; they're too obsessed with getting them to cool down asap to leave them intact that long.

Back