Another stock staining/oiling question.

stevekale

Howdy

I just got another rifle - a little .22LR Anschutz 1416 D HB thumbhole. I like a dark stock. I love the look of the one on the Anschutz website. See attached.

Apparently the ordered rifle came in with a very light stock and so I paid a little extra and waited a lot longer for the stock to be stained and oiled. It's arrived and .... appears to be varnished and the vanish has already chipped in a couple of places. I'm a bit miffed. Yes, it's just a little rabbit gun but it could be a gorgeous one if done properly. I appreciate the fact that a gunsmith might not make it the labour of love I might prefer.

So...I'm thinking of stripping the varnish/sealant/whatever and doing things myself. But I'm worried about cocking it all up. I've read a decent amount about the required process (here and elsewhere) but what's the best way to get the colour of the attached pic? I've used CCL gunstock oil on my shotguns but the colour is different.

Any guidance appreciated.

Steve

Attachments

• 013213.jpg
    013213.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 59
Just to clarify my reference to the Anschutz image, my worry with many 'traditional' gunstock oils is that they may (will?) lead to a red-hued stock. Or am I mistaken? What I very much like about the one in the image is the neutrality of the shade of brown - American dark walnut or almost hickory in colour.

A lot of gunstock oils - red oil contains a red stain - Alcannut root, but it doesn't really change the underlying wood colour very much, just imparts a warm glow. If you want a red colour - traditional london finish, almost mahogany colour then a stain needs to be applied to the stock prior to oiling. What is the colour of the underlying wood?

Are you going to remove the stock first if so try a walnut stain on the inside first to get the desired colour ,or near enough then any further coats of stain/oils will only make it darker ,i think what will be under yours at the moment will be light walnut /beech colour,obviously not as in your picture, ask welshwarrior on here he should be able to advise,,its not as daunting as you think,atb doug,PS thats assuming it is a wanut stock?

Once all the old finish is removed you'll be able to carefully stain the stock to the tone you want. Multiple coats building up is best and I prefer a sprit based stain or dye, I use different colours to achieve the desired end state then oil as normal remembering the oil will slightly darken the stock as you go.

original BRNO varnished finish

001-8.jpg

stripped, stained with wood dye, Wickes Dark Oak in very light applications and then oiled with Phillips Walnut prperation

040.jpg

041-1.jpg

same process on a Parker Hale

stripped stock
IMAG0499.jpg

stained but not oiled yet
IMAG0541.jpg

Back