steyr scout

ileso

hi, i have a steyr scout in my sights. does anyone have any experience with this rifle? good bad?
it will be mainly for boar.

I've put about 60 rounds through a friends Scout in 376 Steyr . It's a very handy , powerful and accurate rifle but , in 376 , is a bit of a nuclear facial lol . I imagine one in 308 W would be a lot more user friendly and , to be honest , fully capable for most game . It would make a great boar rifle .
Are you planning on scoping it ?

AB

Hi there
I have one in 243 very accurate , lovely built in bipod , magazine in stock , best safety going . wouldn't change it , for anything .

I dont plan on scoping it unless its something like a red dot sight. The forest around here is very dense.
I was interested in it because it looks to be relatively shorter than my ZKK600 in .270win. The one I am looking at is in 308W. second hand.
is 1500Eur. a good price?

The reason I asked the original question was that its such an ugly odd looking rifle. and very light weight. I know this influences recoil, not being weird looking but being lightweight.

deer3.jpgOne of the finest rifles for real world use. Get a long eye relief scope and don't look back.

View attachment 66727One of the finest rifles for real world use. Get a long eye relief scope and don't look back.

Hey there, how is it with recoil? what cal do you have? Im just hesitant that if its too light a rifle I may not like the recoil fo shooting a heavier round than I am used to.
I dont have the opportunity to shoot it before I buy it.

just seen this having replied to another post of yours

I had one in 308 , kick is fine

accuracy less so ! make sure you see it shot and proved accurate !!

I have 1 in 223, shoots pretty well with any ammo i've fed it.

The 1 problem i have is magazine's (50 odd quid for a new piece of plastic) but not always feeding rounds, sometines case just sits down a fraction on an inch at the base so bolt just slips over it and won't cycle. Tried a new mag but still the same. Tried stripping mags down to lubricate and wedgeing things below craddle to lift base up.
Bloody pita. U do get the feel for it

I ran a thread years ago on here about it, seemingly a commonish problem and something to do with the throat? is also at a ateep angle.

Not sure wot law is in portugal but a mod certainly takes the kick out a rifle, mibee not ideal for driven game so possibly a muzzle break might help?

Must admit i'm with svert here, while it is a neat idea haveing a spare mag in stock, but when would u ever really need 2 mags of ammo? And is it really that big an issue to put 2nd mag in pocket if u needed it?
The bipod in forend is quite handy althou not as good as a harris etc

Not bad rifles, good safety with the 3 positions, if i could fix the mag issue i'd be very happy with mine

some are accurate of that there is no doubt as I've witnessed it (243) but mine wasn't hence the suggestion to have it proved accurate before handing over the readies !

mine fed flawlessly maybe it's a 223 issue ?

No idea tack. I should look back and see when it was. Mibee i've just got a bad 1 but sure a few others had similar problems

I think all rifles have the potential to be rubbish with some ammo and great with others, possibly esp so with 2nd hand.

Does ur rifle shoot well now? Have u found some ammo it likes?

I have a Steyr scout in 308 win, it's a great gun. Due to the light barrel it's generally more accurate with mid weight rounds 150gr or so, I probably wouldn't go more than 165gr even if I was using it for boar. Mine shoots nicely with a lightweight (450gr) over barrel moderator from tier one. 1500€ may be a little steep for a second hand one. Hope this helps

I got rid of the gun and had riflecraft build me a rifle , I tried numerous weights and types of ammo plus reloading , just gave up in the end ! sad because the concept and some of the rifles are great !

I had one in .308. My initial reaction was positive and it was purchased for that kind of rapid mounting activity that you describe. Not totally sure why but something changed and I lost confidence in it (may have been a poor job of threading for a moderator). I thought that the recoil was a bit sharp as well and found that I was beginning to flinch. So it had to go.

cheers guys. thanks for all that.
theres some good pointers in what to look for. Makes me wonder why its for sale too as it is practically a brand new rifle with very few shots taken.
here we arent allowed to use mods and the idea was a shorter rifle to into the thicker brush, synthetic to get wet and dirty. not for drives (the ideal gun would be a bullpup..)

I have also been reading up on it elsewhere on the internet. Its a very interesting rifle albeit odd looking. concept wise.
So I need to look out for the feeding hitch due to the two position magazine design. And accuracy.
I dont think I will be able to shoot it though, which is a pity. There is no range near the seller.

as for the price, thanks for the pointer, I will see if I can work my way down to a reasonable number.
I had also thought it was high, especially as I could have bought a Sauer 90 for just over 1000 (but 7mmRM cal put me off it).

Anyway I am going to see it and handle it this weekend. By then I should have made up my mind.

thanks again.

Last edited:
Shot a friend's 308 Scout and it was accurate enough but the recoil was amplified by it's light weight, so if a 7mmRM was too much I would shoot a few full house 308 rounds through one first before getting excited.

I have a Steyr Scout .308W with an Aimpoint Hunter S34 Red Dot sight; Lawrance Precision titanium moderator, and Ching sling.
This set-up was the conclusion of a long and hard think of form and function and specific conditions on some of my stalking land. (Steep heavily wooded and overgrown 25% slope, typical distance of a shot 30-40 meters, and looking for a light, pointable rifle for unsupported shooting.
And after heaving read the book 'The art of the rifle' I started to appreciate the thinking behind the Scout rifle concept - an allround rifle that can be used in most hunting scenarios.

The rifle is excellent: accurate, light and pointable, quality built, with great safety features such as the SBS (Safety Bolt System).
The Red Dot sight suits me, as in Winter I prefer to stalk midday (11am-3pm) if it is bright and sunny, so I do not need a low-light ability a good scope would give you. In addition to that this set-up is superb for driven boar/deer.

Some critics say the Steyr Scout can be inaccurate: Not in my experience, because under range/bench conditions the rifle with the red dot sight groups perfectly fine and holds its own against more traditional setups.

My other deer rifle is a more traditional set up (Howa 1500 Sporter with 6x42 fixed scope). What I do find is that when I go stalking with the .243 a deer will jump out of a hedge right in front of me, and I wish I had the Steyr Scout instead for a quick off-hand shot, and would not have to fumble with sticks.
And when I take the Scout .308 I will sometimes come across a longer distance opportunity, or in failing light, or I sit out the evening in a high seat, and I wish I had the .243W on me instead...

If I would be able to go back I would go for the Leupold Firedot VX-R 1.5-5x33 instead of the Red Dot sight, which would give me the best of both worlds.

cheers Eric thanks for that extra bit of knowledge. I was thinking of using in a more or less similar situation, up close and personal with an aimpoint 9000. Except not for stalking but rather flushing boar in dense cover.
I am in conversations with the seller of the rifle trying to lower him from his 1500Eur. mark.

I would love to shoot it but theres no range close at hand to do so.

Back