Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labrador ****

Labrador ****

I have a healthy 16 month old lab. Fine fettle, glossy coat, plenty energy, bright eyed, strong and eats Skinners muesli sometimes with a bit of meat or deer heart cooked up.

Only thing is, his **** is coming out like a sausage frequently like it's in cased in sausage skin. He was overdue a worm and he's had that now.

Any ideas as to what it is or what I can give him?? Or vet??

thanks!

Raw meat and bones, it's what they have developed to thrive on for thousands of years, dogs are not meant to eat muesli, I'd suggest re introducing meat and bone three days a week at least and a quality protein based dry food inbetween. Their poo should be solid and relatively dry.
    Hope that helps you somewhat, I have an extra chest freezer just for my two labs and meat on the bone 4 x per week

Quote Originally Posted by Feckless View Post
    Raw meat and bones, it's what they have developed to thrive on for thousands of years, dogs are not meant to eat muesli, I'd suggest re introducing meat and bone three days a week at least and a quality protein based dry food inbetween. Their poo should be solid and relatively dry.
    Hope that helps you somewhat, I have an extra chest freezer just for my two labs and meat on the bone 4 x per week

Thanks it is a dry food he is on it's just called muesli. I don't think I'd have the freezer space for all that meat. Maybe just change him to another food.

Hi just to note, I started my puppy cocker on Skinners as that was what he was on from birth, he started shitting through an eye of a needle and went of his food, on further research skinners is a relatively cheap food that hasn't got what the dog needs in it, changed him to James Wellbeloved and haven't looked back poohing only 2 or 3 times a day now, and looking healthier than ever.

Muesli?

ditch that. Get some decent dried food at least.
    high meat content, not cereals.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil12 View Post
    I have a healthy 16 month old lab. Fine fettle, glossy coat, plenty energy, bright eyed, strong and eats Skinners muesli sometimes with a bit of meat or deer heart cooked up.

Only thing is, his **** is coming out like a sausage frequently like it's in cased in sausage skin. He was overdue a worm and he's had that now.

Any ideas as to what it is or what I can give him?? Or vet??

thanks!
    Apparently Beef is what causes the most allergies of any food in dogs....go figure.

I give my Lab this stuff. Its very good.

Our nutritious grain free raw frozen dog food | Natures Menu

And also add some extra tripe from the same manucturer.

Still works out a bit cheaper than the dry burns we had him on.
    Last edited by Dave1973; 14-02-2016 at 23:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Feckless View Post
    Couldnt agree more with this. On a diet similar mine poos once or maybe twice a day, it's crumbly, doesn't really smell and could be stepped on without sticking to your shoe.

My lab bitch now 16 months old is the only dog I've ever fed on raw meat. I feed mainly minced chicken with some raw veg and mixer, but only a little of that. Her poo is solid and easy to pick up. Doesn't smell either. She is in fine fettle too. Seems to love her meals, but so do most labs!

Thanks for the advice. How much raw stuff are you feeding?

Hi Basil, he's probably just perfectly normla, the sausage skin sounds like a mucus coating, soit might be worth a trip to the vet, just to check all is OK, but I anticipate they'll say he's normal.

I suspect the other vets on the forum will agree with me that more crap is spoken about crap than just about any veterinary topic.

Fit, healthy, maintaing weight and working OK? Then what comes out of the anus is largely irrelevant. It's waste and its consistency varies with diet. Just like us. Consistency also varies with work and I see plenty of dogs that go Brick to Mr Whippy to Water during the course of the day, before returning to bricks.

Find a good quality dried all in one kibble type food and stick to it. There will be individual variances and there will be the occasional dog with a true food related problem or a genuine malabsorption issue. Yes, canine evolution means their natural diet is raw produce, guts, decayed bits, plus beetles, worms etc. But to be trully natural, they should chase it down or snuffle for it. Personally, I'm happier to scoop the stuff out of a sack.