Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: .270 barrel how short can you go

  1. #1

    .270 barrel how short can you go

    Has anyone tested a .270 barrel before and after being shortened down to 18 inches and what differences in velocity has been noticed if any, I looking for first hand experienced not info of the web. Chers

  2. #2
    Done it about two year a go shoot plenty deer with it not noticed any difference,As long as you stick to normal stalking ranges you will find there is no problem and when you want it still shoots good and concistantly out past normal stalking ranges

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by patterdale View Post
    Done it about two year a go shoot plenty deer with it not noticed any difference,As long as you stick to normal stalking ranges you will find there is no problem and when you want it still shoots good and concistantly out past normal stalking ranges
    Thanks very much pat a very user friendly length indeed

  4. #4
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    Posts
    2,743
    My experience (via a friend that had to shorten his barrel) is that the velocity drops off pretty fast. As has been said the difference is not that noticeable at shorter stalking ranges, but it does somewhat defeat the object of having a 270
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

  5. #5
    It's rather a pointless exercise really as long action rifles need longer barrels to give enough time for the relatively slow burning powders to burn for long enough before the bullet leaves the barrel. Sure, an 18" might work fine, but you are effectively wasting potential and powder which burns after the bullet leaves. If you want a shorter barrel, then go for a shorter action which will give more efficient and consistent performance.
    MS

  6. #6
    SD Regular Greener Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Yorkshireman in Darkest Cornwall
    Posts
    2,571
    It doesn't have to be a short action cartridge, just one with a high expansion ratio.

    Personally I think 24" is the minimum for a cartridge like a 270.
    Last edited by Greener Jim; 15-02-2016 at 08:05.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    It's rather a pointless exercise really as long action rifles need longer barrels to give enough time for the relatively slow burning powders to burn for long enough before the bullet leaves the barrel. Sure, an 18" might work fine, but you are effectively wasting potential and powder which burns after the bullet leaves. If you want a shorter barrel, then go for a shorter action which will give more efficient and consistent performance.
    MS
    Would a faster burning powder, e.g. Varget, N140, RL 15 mitigate against the effect of the shorter barrel?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Would a faster burning powder, e.g. Varget, N140, RL 15 mitigate against the effect of the shorter barrel?
    That is a test for Quickload! You will still get a drop off in velocity but at least reduce the fireball coming out of the end of the muzzle (or into the moderator)

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Would a faster burning powder, e.g. Varget, N140, RL 15 mitigate against the effect of the shorter barrel?
    Yes, but you'd need less of it to reduce pressure which could then lead to case volume issues. Partially filled cases can lead to inconsistent burns, or worst case a 'flashover' where the powder actually detonates rather than burns which is extremely dangerous and can destroy your rifle! It is said that 24" is optimum minimum for long actions, but my standard factory Sako 25.06 is I believe 21.75 inches and that seems to work fine. I wouldn't want to go any shorter though!
    MS

  10. #10
    muzzle flash.
    its nice in the dark for scaring small animals, defrosting windows and warming the hands on cold night
    Impressive but a simple sign of unburned and wasted powder

    I have recently been developing a load for 100gr .270 which is light for calibre but I have 400 of them given to me!
    Using my usual N160 in the 60-62gr range I get big flames from a 23" barrel

    IMO you want to step up the powder burn rate and increase the weight (as it lowers the charge volume) otherwise you could be wasting powder for the sake of it

Similar Threads

  1. short barrel 243 help
    By jimmy milnes in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2014, 05:10
  2. How short is too short (.22lr barrel)
    By bewsher500 in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 17-06-2014, 19:52
  3. Short barrel 6.5x47
    By duff eyed doyle in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-05-2014, 09:54
  4. long vs. short barrel / just as info
    By Hales Smut in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 24-07-2012, 21:09
  5. short barrel
    By biker1 in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26-06-2012, 03:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •