Thread: Optics

Optics

Hi
    i am looking for a good quality second hand scope for my CZ .22lr. I have roughly 350 to spend and it will be mainly used at night lamping for bunnies.
    What would you recommend?

leupold second hand,great glass lifetime guarantee.

Ditch the lamp and get a Yukon Photon? If that's not an option Vortex are good and their guarantee is also awesome
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Think the photon would be better suited for ratting on a air rifle. Driving around on quad I don't think NV would be suited.

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    Ditch the lamp and get a Yukon Photon? If that's not an option Vortex are good and their guarantee is also awesome
    Yukon is great on a cf but spotting will be the issue, no reason why you can't scan with a lamp then switch to NV for the shot if you can't afford a separate spotter. Failing that then Vortex scopes are superb for the money (and that's not a backhanded compliment) and will be fine under a lamp and with parallax they're very good if you want to get an NV add on kit at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingmoaner View Post
    Driving around on quad I don't think NV would be suited.
    Ahh that wasn't mentioned in the OP. In that case NV may not be ideal.

Not looking for NV. Have been looking at the leupolds preferably a 50mm optical for maximum light capture.

The 50mm objective will still likely be your choice however have you heard of exit pupil?

If not its calculated like this, take the objective diameter (in mm) and divide it by the magnification. 7mm is about the max a young males eye can use. That's dilated, it's less in daylight.
    So a 50mm scope will gather more light but anything over 7x will be wasted (50/7=7.14mm) but you could push it to 8x to make sure you're getting the best from your eyes.

Other options giving 7mm exit pupil would be 6x42, 5x32 or 3x24. Just options for you to widen the choice of scope and possibly reduce weight.
    I mean it's a .22lr being used at night from a quad, ranges can't be that far can they? 75 yards (daylight) is the max I've ever taken a rabbit with a 22 and that was with a 3x scope.

350 can buy yourself a lot of very good glass but it can also land you in the bracket where as you waste it on sub quality glass and infirior gimmicks personaly i would be looking for a quality 6x42 from one of the big 3 if its enough mag for you or if you need a little more mag a meopta or minox