Thread: Fallow retropharyngeal gland advice and TB

Fallow retropharyngeal gland advice and TB

Hi,

Some advice please and a clear example of need to do DSC1 or some sort of formal training.

I have inspected the retropharyngeal gland on a fallow doe. My best description would be that they look like chicken breast fillets, especially the one I cut into ( knife blade pointing to in pic). But l also noticed 2 flaps located right at back of throat which would be in the upper wind pipe, if it was still attached. They are small but look like flatish sponges, with an orange peel type look but are yellow/creamy. Surely they are not its tonsil. hopefully from the picture you can see these located above the glands (to left of blade in pic). what are they and should they look like this ? Also should the retropharyngeal glands look like this on a healthy deer ?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by charlieboy-shooter; 15-02-2016 at 11:01. Reason: to add (to left of blade in pic)

I can only open the second picture, but they look fairly normal to me. They may be slightly enlarged, much the same as the glands in our necks enlarge when our bodies are busy dealing with minor infection, but it is no cause for alarm. They don't look puss filled. If the mesenteric was ok, I'd say your deer is ok. Can't really see the tonsils you describe, but it is quite feasible that you have shot a fallow with tonsillitis I suppose?
    MS

I would agree with MS. They look fairly normal to me also. Besides if it had TB you would have noticed a difference in the lungs and the diaphragm. If in doubt check all the lymph nodes, but it appears to me that you have a normal healthy deer. However I also cannot open the other photo.

Had a client this weekend on his first CWD with me, looked healthy enough, but on closer inspection it has liver fluke. That's a first for me in a CWD, carcase was ok to eat and he took it away. The liver was disposed of.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    but they look fairly normal to me. They may be slightly enlarged, much the same as the glands in our necks enlarge when our bodies are busy dealing with minor infection, but it is no cause for alarm. They don't look puss filled. If the mesenteric was ok, I'd say your deer is ok.
    I agree with that.
    In my experience TB hits the Mesenteric first.
    Looks ok in my book.
    Cheers
    Richard

A mate of mine had a vet confirmed TB case in a deer some time ago. It was obvious from the smell of the carcass and the initial gralloch and inspection that some thing was obviously wrong so they stopped immediately and got help. Sorry I can't be any more specific but I wasn't there. Based on your photos, I agree with the other posts that all looks normal especially if everything else was inspected and ok.

Hi
    they both look normal. You are right that you are looking at the tonsils. They look as you describe them as orange peel. They will react to external stimuli such as virus attacks so may look slightly enlarged. There does not seem to be any discharge from them so infection very unlikely. The retro pharyngeal nodes will respond to any stimulus in the tonsils and enlarge sometimes to quite a size. Abnormal lymph nodes in any part of the body will tend to be round, if the node retains its oval/lozenge shape it is more than likely reacting to a stimulus - which is what they are meant to do. When cut into these reactive nodes will have a pale appearance sometimes with a pinker centre.
    as said above the pictures look OK but well done for checking.
    BE

Hi guys,

Thanks to all for your responses.
    Last edited by charlieboy-shooter; 19-02-2016 at 18:19.

Smell.

For interests sake, what was unusual about the smell?

Here's one I had a while ago
    only in the one side of the head but can see that it's not right
    hope the pic helps.

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

Further to Sikamalc's comment, heres the mesenteric of a CWD that Malc might remember from this time last year!

The deer looked fine before it fell over from a fatal lead accident but on opening it up we both thought this isn't one to eat!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01332bcf8d7e87b6702026615d5a77c1c6b4bd31ac.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	923.5 KB 
ID:	67486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01c03b08f3455487976bac5e3d01b5e712e1c43443.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1,004.3 KB 
ID:	67487