Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flight case

Flight case

I have a trip planned later this year and am thinking about taking a rifle. I have never travelled with one and assume I will be needing a flight case of some description and also something for ammunition. Any suggestions? The rifle is an RPA thumb hole .308

Also what do I need to do prior to flying with the airlines etc?

All help appreciated

Cheers
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by s8mdevo View Post
    I have a trip planned later this year and am thinking about taking a rifle. I have never travelled with one and assume I will be needing a flight case of some description and also something for ammunition. Any suggestions? The rifle is an RPA thumb hole .308

Also what do I need to do prior to flying with the airlines etc?

All help appreciated

Cheers
    Sam
    You need to check with the specific airline, as each have their own conditions for carrying firearms, and ammunition. Both always need to be in a separate lockable box/case, some want the ammunition packed into your hold luggage, others want both the ammunition, and rifle put through, as well as hold luggage.

I personally use Peli Storm cases, others have their own preferences. A lot depends on how much you value your rifle, and how often you intend to go.

If you do a search, there was a thread about cases for flying in the last week or so.

Cheers, what peli case do you have. The im3220 looks long enough for my rifle. It only shows the external dimensions of case on website so wondered what babe internal dims would be as I may need the next size up.

Quote Originally Posted by s8mdevo View Post
    Cheers, what peli case do you have. The im3220 looks long enough for my rifle. It only shows the external dimensions of case on website so wondered what babe internal dims would be as I may need the next size up.
    I have take down rifles, and use the smaller IM3100. I think the IM3220 will be much deeper than you need. Have a look at the IM3200, but it will depend on the length of your rifle. This site gives both internal, and external sizes.

https://peliproducts.co.uk/products/cases/im3200-storm-case-1935.html

One thing to be aware with the Pelis is that they can be quite large for the "protected" volume plus they can also be heavy. This may not sound like an issue until you arrive and find it will not fit in your hire car, or has cost you a fortune in excess baggage charges.

Peli make great cases and I use them a lot, but not for rifles. Musicians are transporting items much more delicate and often a lot heavier than your rifle and for most of this gear they are using "standard" flight cases. This gear is often flying around the world for months or years on end. A flight case can be a little smaller relative to the protected volume than a Peli and they can also be lighter.

It is likely that there will be someone in your local area who can build you a custom flight case to your exact specification and this gives you scope to keep the size and weight to a minimum. This solution will probably not be any cheaper than a Peli but it will give you a solution engineered to solve your problem.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    One thing to be aware with the Pelis is that they can be quite large for the "protected" volume plus they can also be heavy. This may not sound like an issue until you arrive and find it will not fit in your hire car, or has cost you a fortune in excess baggage charges.

Peli make great cases and I use them a lot, but not for rifles. Musicians are transporting items much more delicate and often a lot heavier than your rifle and for most of this gear they are using "standard" flight cases. This gear is often flying around the world for months or years on end. A flight case can be a little smaller relative to the protected volume than a Peli and they can also be lighter.

It is likely that there will be someone in your local area who can build you a custom flight case to your exact specification and this gives you scope to keep the size and weight to a minimum. This solution will probably not be any cheaper than a Peli but it will give you a solution engineered to solve your problem.

Agreed; they are enormous. Consider removing the action from the stock for travelling which would allow you to use a smaller case & you'll be checking zero before hunting anyway.

Just a thought, but make sure you can take your rifle to the country you are visiting, I use a Plano gun guard, I have two inserts one for two rifles and a single, it's been around the world, so solid.
    Some company's only allow,one hold case, so take advantage of the hand luggage ( 5 kg) , others will allow up to a certain weight.
    Also ask before you book, never assume they will carry your rifles, get it confirmed by the travel agent, also check if you have a connecting flight in a different country that you can transfer guns.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post

I'll check the internal dims of the Peli cases I use. I often get 'walk on' couriers to take gear out to various ports around the world and we've never had an additional charge for a Peli style long case. I would imagine your main restriction would be on bush flights.
    Last edited by Leadwasp; 16-02-2016 at 09:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadwasp View Post
    I would imagine your main restriction would be on bush flights.
    It is simpler than that - you and two mates fly to somewhere fairly east in Europe for some boar and hire a car. On arrival you've got to work out how to get 3 people, 3 suitcases, and 3 enormous rifle cases into a Fait 500. At this point you have what might be described as "a situation."
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/