Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaving a firearm away from home

Leaving a firearm away from home

I am a regular visitor to Devon and the house has an approved firearms cabinet attached in a suitable location. . If I have sole access to the keys where would I stand if left one of my rifles there?

The house owners do not have FAC'S.

If it was possible could be very handy to save carrying weapons to and from Devon.

Advise please.

D

I would ask your FEO

Quote Originally Posted by tomblincoe View Post
    I would ask your FEO
    +1

i think I remember having to state where my rifles would be stored on my application (ie tick box for home address or let them know if somewhere else)?

Nobody read the condition on their FAC?

Here's a clue - it's one of the prescribed conditions:

a) the firearms and ammunition to which the certificate relates must at all times
    (except in the circumstances set out in paragraph b) below) be stored securely
    so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, access to the firearms or
    ammunition by an unauthorised person;

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Nobody read the condition on their FAC?

Here's a clue - it's one of the prescribed conditions:

a) the firearms and ammunition to which the certificate relates must at all times
    (except in the circumstances set out in paragraph b) below) be stored securely
    so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, access to the firearms or
    ammunition by an unauthorised person;
    he did say they would be locked in a cabinet which he would have sole access to. The flo I'm sure will make a judgement call on what he/she believes is 'reasonably practicable'

I guess, to look at it another way, it might be a similar position to someone who lives in shared accommodation and works away (offshore for eg)?

A requirement of your FAC is that your firearms are stored in such a manner that unauthorised persons cannot gain access. A guncabineqt is by far the best and if only you have access to it then that should be sufficient. If others have access to it then a chain and padlock around the action can prevent its use. If you can keep the bolt and ammo with you so much the better. There are plenty of rifles kept in such a manner on highland estates for clients / guests, particularly given the fun and games of transporting weapons through airports.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    he did say they would be locked in a cabinet which he would have sole access to. The flo I'm sure will make a judgement call on what he/she believes is 'reasonably practicable'
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    I guess, to look at it another way, it might be a similar position to someone who lives in shared accommodation and works away (offshore for eg)?
    You're over-thinking it. No need to obtain the 'opinion' of an FEO/FLO and what they might or might not think complies. If the OP follows the H O Guidance Chapter 19 and maybe the advice contained in the Firearms Security Handbook if applicable, it's a defence against prosecution to ensure that you have prevented 'so far as is reasonably practicable' access by unauthorised persons. Follow the Guidance and your doing just that.

Years ago when i lived in a small flat, my pistols were kept at my parents home and my rifle was kept in the armoury at my shooting club, all i did was inform my licensing office of my change of permanent address and where my firearms would be kept.
    Maybe things are the same now or maybe they have changed, even though your certificate says you only need to make sure your firearms are not accessible by unauthorised persons, the fact that one of your rifles is not on the premisses where you are living may be good enough reason to inform your licensing office of the address where it is actually kept, talk to them they will tell you.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    You're over-thinking it. No need to obtain the 'opinion' of an FEO/FLO and what they might or might not think complies. If the OP follows the H O Guidance Chapter 19 and maybe the advice contained in the Firearms Security Handbook if applicable, it's a defence against prosecution to ensure that you have prevented 'so far as is reasonably practicable' access by unauthorised persons. Follow the Guidance and your doing just that.

+1
    I think a lot of people go completely OTT on the security issue, and tie themselves up in a lot of unnecessary knots.
    Secured in such a way as to prevent unauthorised access as far as is reasonably possible is all that's required.