Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone remember...70s TV program about Wildlife Rangers?

Does anyone remember...70s TV program about Wildlife Rangers?

Hi,

Bit of a long shot, but what planted the seed of wanting to be a deer stalker was a program I stumbled across as a kid back in the 70s, may early 80s. I think it was a documentary following a deer manager, possibly a FC wild life ranger through his year.

I'm pretty sure it was not a Jack Hargreaves program but it may have been one of the Survival series or part of a series on country men. Also I think it was ITV rather than BBC.

Anyway, like I said, it was the first I had ever seen about a deer management, and coming from a non-shooting family it got me interested at a young age. I've trawled through youtube, but while I have seen many interesting programs (Jacks Buck, Jack's Stag with lea McNally in particular) I haven't found the one I vaguely remember. If I can get more information, may be I will have better luck tracking it down.

Not much to go one, but you never know the power of the Stalking Directory! - if any body has any clues let me know!

cheers,

Siggy

I seem to remember it as one in a series called 'A year in the life of...'. I think it was the keeper in this show that had a Harris bipod fitted 'legs back' on his trifle.

jack Hargreaves did some real good documentaries back in the 1970s ( out of town ) was a real gem

Quote Originally Posted by 243ack View Post
    I seem to remember it as one in a series called 'A year in the life of...'. I think it was the keeper in this show that had a Harris bipod fitted 'legs back' on his trifle.
    I prefer my trifle with tangerines and pears

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    I prefer my trifle with tangerines and pears
    I guess you've never gone after 'cardboard boxes' with a 'strawberry trifle' !!.

Advice: If your trifle has legs on it, the use by date may be past.

Looks like I'm not the only one looking - flicking through a back issue of BDS DEER journal a Robin Johnson is looking for an Anglian TV series called Countryman featuring the FC chief wildlife ranger, John Cubby...

Lol I can't remember what I watch yesterday

You could have a look on the itnsource website or the east anglian film archive both have programmes dating well back to the late 40s. You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by geth View Post
    You could have a look on the itnsource website or the east anglian film archive both have programmes dating well back to the late 40s. You never know.
    I've tried and failed on the EA film archive but thanks for the steer on the ITNSource website