Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .243 for fox control

.243 for fox control

Not a deer related question so I apologise, I was wondering what peoples preferred .243 round is for Foxes?
    I know there’s no such thing as overkill where foxes are concerned but a is 100 grain soft point really necessary?
    Cheers

Scott when you consider .223 40 grain Noslers are taking fox cleanly @ 200yds +, I would say you may "get away" with 70 grain & up with your .243! Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

An 87gr V-max and a healthy dose of N160 or the like makes for a great fox killer. Realistically, any of the 6mm's from 60-90gr's should be perfect.

Unfortunately, the cops in NI will not license a 243 for foxes, 22 CF's only.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips or 75 grain V-Max are both excellent foxing rounds in 243.

To be honest, any size bullet in .243 is going to kill charlie cleanly. I was using 55gn Nos BTs for foxes, but once i got my .223 i just went back to one load of 100gn BTSP for the .243, if i do see a fox and i have the .243, then the 100gn is absolutely fine..

One thing i have learned with reloading, is that its great fun, but better to have a few key loads per calibre and stick to them, otherwise as i did, you end up with 3 calibres and end up with 4 loads per calibre, which is in my situation, unnessecary ie, the light loads for .243 are pretty much the same as the heavy loads for the .223 and the heavy .243 loads arent disimila to the light .308 loads. I know thats a bit of a generalisation but in broader terms, the fox isnt gonna know the difference!

Winchester 55gn is very effective. Never seen one move after impact.

100grn Nosler partitions. My foxing with .243 is only when Im stalking though, so Iwouldnt use anything else. I would go with Nosler Ballistics in 75grn as a specific round though. They dont get up But if your using 100grn's anyway for deer then I would stick too it - saves a great deal of messing about with POI etc. after all, meat damage isnt an issue is it?

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

My Favourite for Fox and Roe is a Hornady 87gn HptBt (2442) pushed by 40gns of H380
    There is now an 87gn V max (22440) which is a Varmint round and not suitable/Legal for Deer whereas the other can be used for both.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    My Favourite for Fox and Roe is a Hornady 87gn HptBt (2442) pushed by 40gns of H380
    There is now an 87gn V max (22440) which is a Varmint round and not suitable/Legal for Deer whereas the other can be used for both.
    My answer to the first question is simple, the one that is most accurate.

Why is the 87grn V-max not deer legal?

JC

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post

Why is the 87grn V-max not deer legal?

JC
    The V-Max is under the minimum 100gr bullet requirement in NI and Scotland - other than for Roe in Scotland.

Also, it is a vermin bullet rather than an SST which is supposed to be an Interlock with a plastic tip.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......