Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning T bolt - what allen key size to remove action from stock?

Browning T bolt - what allen key size to remove action from stock?

I have recently bought a nearly new Browning T bolt .22LR. Unfortunately the previous owner has caused some damage to the underside of the stock that I want to repair. After three failed requests to Browning I am struggling to find what size of allen / hex key is needed to remove the bolts holding the action to the stock. I have tried many and even bought an imperial set to try, but no joy.
    Any suggestions would be great....

Quote Originally Posted by bb2 View Post
    I have recently bought a nearly new Browning T bolt .22LR. Unfortunately the previous owner has caused some damage to the underside of the stock that I want to repair. After three failed requests to Browning I am struggling to find what size of allen / hex key is needed to remove the bolts holding the action to the stock. I have tried many and even bought an imperial set to try, but no joy.
    Any suggestions would be great....
    are you sure its an Allen bolt? wouldn't be the first time a mangled Torx head was mistaken for an Allen
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Luckily there is no damage as I haven't forced anything to fit. I'll try some Torx bits.

The American Allen screw heads go up 1/64th" sizes so do your new allen keys also go up in 64ths? Some it seems only go up in 32nds. Torx are quite distinctive and I fear you problem is rust!

The T-Bolt had dreadful rusting problems due to the way the stocks were cured using Salt. There was quite the commontion about this and Browning had loads of warranty claims over this. Our American friends can possiby shed more light on this.

This may not be popular but take it to a gunsmith. If he damages the bolt he will have to replace it. The work might be money well spent. If the T bolt is made by Miroku it might be a metric head anyway. You need a decent range of both types to see what size you need.

David.

Absolutely not a rust issue! It is one of the Miroku ones and yes if I can't get advice from Browning or on-line, I will take to a gun smith. Seems a big deal though as all my other rifles are simple to deal with!

Good metric allen keys are available everywhere even Halfords.

Sorry misread.
    Last edited by paulnix; 11-03-2016 at 08:22.

Right size is the one that fits. Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    Right size is the one that fits. Hope that helps
    I guess you must work for Browning.
    Last edited by bb2; 15-03-2016 at 17:24.