which ruger 10/22 modifications?

nick.308

I have seen ruger 10/22 modifications available and just wondered what others experiences of these were and whether they actually made much of a difference.
Also which part can't be changed? I mean what part holds the serial number and cannot be changed without permission?

I have an original ruger 10/22 and would consider a new stock/barrel/ receiver/ trigger if they are worth it?

Any help much appreciated.
Nick

Question should be what upgrades should I carry out to achieve a certain aim. What do you want to use the rifle for. The trouble with the Ruger is that it can be completely modified, so it becomes a bit like the original broom I have had for 10 years now. It has only had 5 heads and 3 handles. On the other hand it is good fun doing it, as all the mods are very easy to carry out.

I own 3 and all have different purposes.

Common across them all though:-

1. Remove the barrel band
2. Replace or adapt to have an Auto Bolt Release (ABR)
3. Upgrade the trigger internals with an aftermarket kit or hone your own.

Those items transform the gun.

The barrel is good, the mechanism is bullet proof. One of my guns has shot tens of thousands of rounds.

Replacing the factory recoil/mainspring guide rod with an after market polished item with matching spring is the single best modification you can carry out, the recoil spring binding on the rough machined factory guide rod is the cause of probably 90% of all feeding issues with a 10-22

Ian.

Replace the trigger mechanism with a good commercial unit.
The receiver is the only place where a Ruger 10/22 is serial numbered.~Muir

Replace the steel bolt stop/buffer pin with a Derin/Nylon one.

If you are shooting subs through a moderator the 'clang' of the bolt hitting the pin can be the loudest thing heard. Fit a replacement and it quietens things down.

Other than that trigger replacement or work on the existing doesn't go amiss.

do you have one or thinking about it

If not then you would be best thinking what you want to build it for and how much your happy to spend
ie if you buy a std Donor gun and want a high end build you will pretty much chuck every thing away and replace with relatively expensive parts This can make the receiver (the serial Numbered part) quite expensive so you might be better off buying an after market custom Receiver for example from Rimfire Magic who make their own and specing up the parts you want from them etc (also see Rude Fat dog for KIDD parts etc)

if you just want a tinker and slash a few ££ on it for a bit of a project an Old cheap second hand gun can be great to play with and still end up with a good shooter (See you tube for lots of 10/22 modding )
losts can be done to improve what you have ie you can fettle the trigger and smooth out the Bolt etc with hand tools if it all goes wrong you just buy the Upgrade parts :)

Barrel change can make a big difference but can be expensive as long as you hand over the old one to he RFD as he hands you the new one no paperwork is needed FAC wise .. Taking the barrel band of a std Gun helps a lot you could get it recrowned etc you may pick up a heavy barrel versin thats fine a lot fit a Green mountain Barrel as a mid price range or you can sell a Kidney for a Volquartson or KIDD barrel

there is also hundreds of after market stock about in any style you care for and lots of second hand ones

I picked up this old (1994) lady at my local RFD for £140 as it had been raced Hard Im guessing Mini rifle it had already had a lot of the Slicking and fettling done and the std barrel chopped to 12" just needed a Good clean

11202605_10205842138950735_3037883460712413776_n.jpg

changed the stock and a new barrel a Volquartson 12.5" carbon fibre wrap added a Moderator runs great on Subsonics as a lightweight hunter
seems to have settled on CCI Subsonic Hollow points

11707577_10205972184521793_7972570714920726568_n.jpg

next i think a strip down and repainting the receiver and trigger unit its a bit battered

replace the ruger wit a cz 452
,,,perfection

:lol:

I do own a Ruger 10/22 of 1982 vintage and although it does go rabbiting sometimes, I mainly use if for informal outdoor target work so haven't felt the need to alter it bar for switching to full strength ammo to overcome the odd sticky extraction with subs (Thanks Muir ;))

Last edited:
Ok it sounds like I should get a new trigger. Where would you recommend getting one from? and how much are they?
thanks for the info chaps

Ok it sounds like I should get a new trigger. Where would you recommend getting one from? and how much are they?
thanks for the info chaps

Recently replaced mine with a Ruger BX trigger. Tested against a much more expensive Volquartsen trigger and just as good. Dealer who let me try both, said that people were selling the Volquartsen one's, adding a BX trigger instead and pocketing quite a bit of cash. They go for around £100 in UK.
I eventually got mine for £86 from Brownells

RUGER 10/22® BX-Trigger - Brownells UK

None - save your pennies and buy a S&W M&P 22 - reliability, accuracy, customisable and a lot of fun

Just get a Timney replacement trigger set. If you can find someone to stop by their front office in Phoenix it's cheaper than buying one here. They also do a discount for serving soldiers and veterans ... ;) TVM, you know who you are ...

replace the ruger wit a cz 452
,,,perfection

This was my solution too, but I already had the CZ.

With the Ruger (DSP) I replaced the bolt buffer, trigger, some kind of stick on bedding. Occasionally it shot brilliantly, most of the time so-so. It ran well on sub sonic too (2-3 hundred rounds between bolt out cleaning).

I just got so frustrated with the half inch to 3 inch groups with no rhyme or reason, I was thinking about replacing the barrel, stock etc.

Then it occurred to me you shouldn't have to buy the gun and then spend the same again to make it shoot consistently and why am I using this when I have a very accurate rifle still in the cabinet.

So I traded it off (for another CZ452 in 17HMR), the ruger is probably still annoying the h#ll out of someone somewhere, and I do feel a bit guilty about that.

I liked the Ruger and would have another if they were accurate, but the CZ just does it straight form the box.

The auto bolt release can be done for free at home using a dremmel and YouTube. I would suggest upgrading the firing pin as well.

Back