Worlds Most Feared Sniper Rifle?

Amazing technology - but the thought of it makes me a little uncomfortable on many levels.

It's not just the top-gear style advert for a tool clearly built to take human life either I don't think.

Of course weapons like this would never fall into the wrong hands or be used by responsible governments against their own innocents ......................... of course not never! :scared:

so if ive got it right you put the cross hairs on your target sqweeze a button to "tag" it then when your ready to shoot sqweeze the trigger place the cross hairs back on the target and the rifle automatically fires even if your wobbling around or what ever the gun will fire as soon as the cross hairs hit the target giving you a good shot. Well thats fine i get it but you have to be stable enough to "tag" the target in the first place so why not just fire then?

so if ive got it right you put the cross hairs on your target sqweeze a button to "tag" it then when your ready to shoot sqweeze the trigger place the cross hairs back on the target and the rifle automatically fires even if your wobbling around or what ever the gun will fire as soon as the cross hairs hit the target giving you a good shot. Well thats fine i get it but you have to be stable enough to "tag" the target in the first place so why not just fire then?

I think you put your cross hairs on the target (don't give it any lead or elevation), press the button and the scope displays an aim point. Move the cross hairs to the aim point and as soon as the cross hairs touch or go through the aim point the gun fires automatically. Effectively the gun does all the aiming for you, you just move it to where you're told.

The gun/gunsight appears to do everything except move itself, up to moment the shot is fired. After that its at the mercy of the wind which can still vary enormously on long shots. It is a 'top gear' ad but it will obviously never get in the hands of a terrorist who could shoot apparently accurately from a moving vehicle? I wonder if this is superhype ?

No human skill needed anymore, just another thing to rank with calculators and IT. Whatever happened to a 500yd shot with a .303 Lee Enfield and apertures or being a little more modern 2000 yds with a 50 cal Barrett and scope.

A a guess it's cost. Buy 5 of these and 5 standard soldiers can be snipers for less than the time and cost of training 5 snipers.

Had a chat over Christmas with a lad who was in the tank regiment, a gunner. He was explaining some of the technology they now employ. Tagging moving targets, weather stations on the outside of the vehicle feeding barometric, altitude and apparent/actual wind data to the computer which calculates lead, windage and trajectory required leaving the gunner just to put the crosshairs on the target and pull the trigger. All pretty stunning.

same system is used in tanks now and has been for about 30 years..

used to be called IFCS.

improved fire control system

place the aim point on the target

ping the target (same as pressing the trigger)

computer system takes into account the time and distance to the target, weather conditions wind direction air pressure/density etc.

you place the cross hair back on the target

squeeze

target

the problem you have in these cases is that the computer system can only take a snap shot of the air temp/pressure and wind, and of course the wind is at the rifle/tank end , it has no idea what the wind is doing at the far end,

not so much a issue when the round is travelling at 3670 meters per second/5,500 feet per second but I can tell you that the wind does indeed effect the ammo even at this speed,

bob.

But like wot sir lamp's said. U still need an element of skill to 'tag' the thinkg in 1st place.

If the tag the foxes arse or the bush just above/behind it not much good. Same with shooting round corners still got to stick ur head out the 1st time to tag it

Does look an amazing bit of kit, but also more to break down and go wrong. Electrics and dusty or damp environments are never a good thing. A lot to be said of keeping things simple esp if used in d environments and esp so if ur life depends on them.
It may make average shots/soldiers better shots but there is still a massive difference between a real snipper team shooting at targets at vast ranges, be a mission just to 'tag the target at those ranges.
A mate was telling me some americain/candian snipers now have rifle mounted in some sort off automated craddle/machine (bit like day of jackals type(the remake)) so u zoom in on a computer screen and it will move rifle using a very stable base allowing for distance/wind etc

The skill of shooting is not the most important in a snipers Arsenal. The cradle mentioned can be seen on you tube with heavy weapons and is used on vehicle mounted platforms to remove the risk from the soldier standing behind a machine gun. This is a great advancement in technology however it will not remove any training bill as all soldiers still have to be able to operate when technology fails.

Had a chat over Christmas with a lad who was in the tank regiment, a gunner...just to put the crosshairs on the target and pull the trigger. All pretty stunning.

It has been so for maybe twenty years...to see it is to hit it and to hit it is to kill it. As the Iraqis found out in both Gulf Wars.

Last edited:
Looks like a great bit of kit, would be interested if they made one bolt action, but think the cost would put me off
Also think it would encourage shots that should never be taken resulting in injured animals

Ray

No human skill needed anymore, just another thing to rank with calculators and IT. Whatever happened to a 500yd shot with a .303 Lee Enfield and apertures or being a little more modern 2000 yds with a 50 cal Barrett and scope.

I take your point but if you're providing support in the environment for which this application is primarily targeted, then I'm sure all the good guys would be grateful for all the help they can get in disabling the bad guys.

Delighting in ones own finely honed skills is fine but, if that time learned skill can be partly and quickly imparted via technology to those less capable, then the force multiplier (and I do hasten to add in its target environment and not the casual hunter) is probably worth the upset it may cause a few skilled men.

FN

Amazing technology - but the thought of it makes me a little uncomfortable on many levels.

It's not just the top-gear style advert for a tool clearly built to take human life either I don't think.

+1, this is a deer stalking forum and I don't think it does our sport any good to be promoting military hardware. (que brick bats and hollows of horror)

All very sexy...until the batteries run out.....then it needs a bayonet!

ak47 with a scope is the scariest sniper rifle...lots of them usually with crazy people behind them!

All very sexy...until the batteries run out.....then it needs a bayonet!

ak47 with a scope is the scariest sniper rifle...lots of them usually with crazy people behind them!

Lol! What is the weight, what type of batteries, how good is the view (ie digital versus optical). So you put the cross hairs on the coyotes head press a button, then move the scope back onto the head and computer fires for you. Can you see any problem with that logic? I put the cross hairs on coyotes head and pull the trigger, far less steps, far less time. Tanks might be okay as they are bigger and you are swinging a bigger turret into position whilst travelling at 50 miles an hour in the opposite direction. However I thought tank battles were obsolete?

Back