Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gralloching course

Established Poster

Gralloching course

Hello all,

I'm looking for a hands on gralloching course. I have my DSC1 but am not comfortable certifying a carcass as fit for the food chain.

I was hoping to attend the one at sparsholt college but it was full, and the BASC intermediate course, which covers gralloching, isn't available until November.

My dad is also wanting to attend.

Please let me know if there is a course anyone is aware of.

Many thanks

Tom

Jon - roestalker on here did a course, was great when I attended one a few year ago, could try pm him to see what he has coming up.

David

Edit: this was a hands on course where we helped and gralloch 2 red stags.
    Last edited by davidm; 18-02-2016 at 22:20.

Tom you could do worse than book an outing with a decent outfitter, there are plenty on here, local to me I'd recommend jim DGVM on here. They will be able to walk you through it far better than any course, first hand experience plus and outing you and your dad can enjoy together?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Established Poster
    Thanks both for the rapid responses.

Ideally we would like something in the south or south west of England, or east Wales as we stalk in Monmouth.

The risk going out with a pro stalker is not getting anything, and if we do get something the option is demonstration or we get stuck in, not both. The ideal would be a cull day at a park with multiple beasts allowing for a demonstration followed by a beast each.

Tom

Jelen are down your way..... Plenty of park culling opportunities...

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Jelen are down your way..... Plenty of park culling opportunities...
    They only seem to have the pre DSC2 course, which given its breadth only covers a gralloching demonstration. It is also seriously expensive for one day, 250!!

I like Jelen, I did my DSC1 with them, and had a few very successful stalks with Dave. but this doesn't really fit what I'm after.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom_o_m View Post
    They only seem to have the pre DSC2 course, which given its breadth only covers a gralloching demonstration. It is also seriously expensive for one day, 250!!

I like Jelen, I did my DSC1 with them, and had a few very successful stalks with Dave. but this doesn't really fit what I'm after.

Tom
    given what you've said I'd pick up the phone and ask them what they can do? I'm sure they could offer something ??

Get yourself a number of stalks with a good mentor / experienced stalker. Gralloching is a hands on skill that's really only learned by doing and is just part of stalking. Prior to any stalk state that you want to do it and be guided through the process. Most stalkers should be happy to let you do it. There are a number of ways. Some do it on the floor, some start at the back end, others open up from the thorax. Some open the neck, others don't, some core out the anus/ uterus/bladder, others split the pelvis and cut them out that way. All are correct, main thing is to minimise contamination and to do it cleanly.

There was was a good piece on Fieldsports Britain last week and I posted a link to the complete video here Good Video on Gralloching and Carcass Prep.

Which shows mosts of the processes, albeit done in the cleanliness of a larder. You would go through the same in field.

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Get yourself a number of stalks with a good mentor / experienced stalker. Gralloching is a hands on skill that's really only learned by doing and is just part of stalking. Prior to any stalk state that you want to do it and be guided through the process. Most stalkers should be happy to let you do it. There are a number of ways. Some do it on the floor, some start at the back end, others open up from the thorax. Some open the neck, others don't, some core out the anus/ uterus/bladder, others split the pelvis and cut them out that way. All are correct, main thing is to minimise contamination and to do it cleanly.

There was was a good piece on Fieldsports Britain last week and I posted a link to the complete video here Good Video on Gralloching and Carcass Prep.

Which shows mosts of the processes, albeit done in the cleanliness of a larder. You would go through the same in field.
    Many thanks, this is an excellent video.

I definitely want to get hands on, rather than pay for a number of stalks that might be successful and allow me to receive tuition on gralloching I would rather a dedicated course with guaranteed carcasses for me to practice on.

SD Regular
    My son's mother did one, including butchery, with Donington Deer Management near J22 of the M1 for East Midlands Airport at Castle Donington. No stalking about it is basically a number of deer are shot by the principal (for the table) and you then go straight into the gralloch within twenty minutes of arriving at the venue.

So there's no wasted time on shooting, quarry identification, stalking or anything that isn't what (at that time) what you want.

Contact | Donington Deer Management

Excellent! She observed the first deer gralloched, assisted in the second gralloch with stalker and then did the third herself as the instructing proprietor looked on. I cannot praise it highly enough. Then asssisted in butchering a carcass and was able to see the various ways of cuting it into steaks and etc., etc. The proprietor is an excellent teacher of the art.

If you can't get there then DVDs are available:

DVD | Donington Deer Management

Here's a picture or two of my son's mother on her visit there:

Attachment 66826Attachment 66823 Attachment 66824 Attachment 66825
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 19-02-2016 at 01:13.