Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Failed Primers

Failed Primers

Just got a new batch of large rifle cci magnum primers. Went out yesterday with 20 bullets to test and had 4 misfires.

Any one had similar experiences.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0006 (3).jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	66828

What caliber are you using?
    I have had a problem in the past with cci mag primers in a 338 lap mag so moved to federal as I was informed the federal primers are softer and have stuck with them since.
    I have also had a problem with a light strike on a primer which was also cci but that turned out to be the new Hornady brass I purchased. After measuring the brass it was out of spec which resulted in a slack fit (incorrect head space) in the chamber.
    Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewster46 View Post
    What caliber are you using?
    I have had a problem in the past with cci mag primers in a 338 lap mag so moved to federal as I was informed the federal primers are softer and have stuck with them since.
    I have also had a problem with a light strike on a primer which was also cci but that turned out to be the new Hornady brass I purchased. After measuring the brass it was out of spec which resulted in a slack fit (incorrect head space) in the chamber.
    Hope that helps.
    243, Last year had same problem with a batch of 223 small rifle cci magnum primers.

That's odd to have a problem with two calibres?

Why are you using magnum primers?

Try some federal match primers I have had no problems. having said that I'm sure there are guys out there who likewise have had no issues with cci.

One last thing if you are re using brass and tumbling always be sure the flash hole is clear of media!

Quote Originally Posted by Drewster46 View Post
    That's odd to have a problem with two calibres?

Why are you using magnum primers?

Try some federal match primers I have had no problems. having said that I'm sure there are guys out there who likewise have had no issues with cci.

One last thing if you are re using brass and tumbling always be sure the flash hole is clear of media!
    I am using full sized once fired brass from different rifle maybe that could be the problem as you said head space.

If you notice the primer on the right in the picture, After the misfire in mine it was put in a mates rifle and still failed go off.

why use magnum primers with that calibre?? not necessary surely?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Just had similar experience due (my opinion) to small differences between CIP and SAAMI spec cartridges affecting headspace. Also had primers fail to detonate, about one in eight rounds.
    Along the way I found out that once struck, a second strike is unlikely to detonate the primer. Unless the second strike is with a lump hammer
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    why use magnum primers with that calibre?? not necessary surely?
    Probably not necessary, All I could get local at the time.

Have just checked head space on some cases ad they are between 1.623 and 1.630, Would that cause a problem with primers.

Magnum primers are designed to ignite differently to large rifle primers and I was always of the understanding they shouldn't be interchanged? I know that shouldn't stop them going bang when you pull the trigger, clearly there's another issue, but it seems a little odd to be using this wrong primers simply because that's all that were in stock at the time and then taking the same round having misfired and trying for a second go in another rifle? This cant' be advisable??
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink