Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lewis Potter article on drillings in this week's Shooting Times

Lewis Potter article on drillings in this week's Shooting Times

Has anyone else read Lewis Potter's article in the latest ST, about a 1920s Suhl drilling? He mentions the he bought one like it for 40 back in the day, which is what he's said in the letter he wrote to ST about my article in August. Anyway, the point is that he says that the shotgun shoots very flat as the stock is designed for rifle use, so you could easily end up shooting low. I've been shooting quite badly with the 16 bore barrels of mine and thought I was probably shooting high, but perhaps he's right! I really need to find out.

It's still my topic though, cheeky so and so...
    "Wishy washy hand-wringing diversified all encompassing liberal"

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Has anyone else read Lewis Potter's article in the latest ST, about a 1920s Suhl drilling? He mentions the he bought one like it for 40 back in the day, which is what he's said in the letter he wrote to ST about my article in August. Anyway, the point is that he says that the shotgun shoots very flat as the stock is designed for rifle use, so you could easily end up shooting low. I've been shooting quite badly with the 16 bore barrels of mine and thought I was probably shooting high, but perhaps he's right! I really need to find out.

PM, Anything that Lew writes, or says, is worth taking notice of. He is a walking treasure trove of information.

S.
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post

The only real way with a shotgun to work out where its shooting is a pattern plate at 16 yards. Shooting high is not too bad - good for driven or flushing (rising game) and on crossers just sit the bird above the barrels. Shooting low is a nightmare as you have to blot out the target before you shoot. Relatively easily adjusted by bending the stock.

Its also far to easy to overthink shotgun shooting, and rifle shooting really messes it up. Shotgun - don't think about it and watch the bird and let your natural hand / eye coordination take over. Trying to adjust aim etc just means you miss.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 19-02-2016 at 17:06.

SD Regular
    Then you'll need a comb raiser PM to reduce the "drop" or "bend" of the stock relative to the barrel sighting line. Easy done the cheap rubber ones are only a few pounds. (No need to bend unless you want to.)

Don't look nice though! And, I'm guessing then you will lose the ability to snap shoot with the rifle instinctively. In theory, but seldom in practice, you may find that some shotgun cartridges may shoot slighly higher than others...that might give some relief? Try varying shot loads and see.

Have you shot the rifle and slugs using the same low, on-the-rib open sight leaf, at 25 yards, to see how the two barrels relate? A lot of combination guns will shoot the regulation load - like a 175-gr bullet from a 7x57R - and the slug to the same spot somewhere between 25 and 50 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Then you'll need a comb raiser PM to reduce the "drop" or "bend" of the stock relative to the barrel sighting line. Easy done the cheap rubber ones are only a few pounds. (No need to bend unless you want to)
    As a starting point, I'm going to have a look at how it compares with my two shotguns with which I shoot fine. If it comes to it, I'm sure someone on here could make me a pretty leather removable comb raiser.

I'm not a shotgunner but used my drilling on thirty odd driven hunts last year. Shoots fine to me. Comb is low but that's how I like it.

Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Right, I finally found some time to look into this using a pretty crude technique. I mounted the drilling and my old Brno side by side in turn and balanced a cleaning rod on the rib to see how it aligned with my eye. The result is that with the shotgun, it's just under my eye, which is probably more or less where it should be. With the drilling, it's above my eyebrow. So there it is, I'm shooting low with it and need some sort of comb raiser.

I have seen some using string and cereal boxes to work out the correct thickness of raiser they desire before getting one made.

What are we trying to shoot with a drilling quail or rabbits?
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle