Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd my BMH nearly lost him.

Todd my BMH nearly lost him.

Thank you to everyone who has sent kind messages about Todd, many of you will have met him when stalking with me, and he has been responsible for some incredible retrieves whilst stalking with me.

Hopefully he will make a full recovery, and later today I hope to be able to pick him up from the vets and bring him home. Having not had a great deal of sleep over the past 3 days I am hopeful that he will be back in the field later this spring on the Roe Bucks. However on his return home he will be confined to barracks until he is 100% fit and well.
    Although Todd is nearly 10 years old he is a very fit, lean muscular hound and many who see him think he is a young dog (certainly acts like it sometimes) I am convinced that due to his active working life that this has helped him through his operation.

My grateful thanks to the Seers Croft veterinary practice near Horsham, and the very professional treatment they have given throughout this traumatic period. Now off to the shops to make sure we have plenty of fresh chicken and mince for when I get my boy back home today.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Hi, Hope all goes well, and spoil him in his recovery.
    Jim

Couldn't believe it when I got your message, like I said I had a similar do with one of my dogs a few years back and he made a full recovery. It's surprising how quick they mend when they are homeI'm sure he will be fine.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Cheers John. Having spoken to the vets this morning, Todd had a comfortable night and has kept food down, which is the important part of the recovery. He will miss the end of the winter season with me, but I am sure Sandra will spoil him rotten when he is home.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Glad to read that Todd is recovering. Did not know that there had been a problem but just glad to read that he will be fine.

Although mine dog was "Just" a pet and companion and not a working dog losing him last weekend hurt. He suddenly had a fit/seizure Friday night then two smaller ones in the early hours of the Morning was up with him all night. At the surgary for 08:00 where they tried some teatment but once back home and he was asleep another, the 4th, fit happened. It was not fair to leave him like this so back to the vets we went and I came home alone.

Forgive my ignorance malc if you have written what was up , but I haven't seen it any where , what was the problem with him ? And good news that he will be home for a few more years to come , they really are part of the family, atb arron

Sorry to hear you've had a problem with Todd, Malc, I was looking forward to seeing him next week. And you of course.

What happened to him?
    So much to learn and so little time left

I had not put it on the site, and many have contacted me having heard through the grapevine I guess.

Briefly on Thursday morning he had been sick in his bed..........not uncommon for dogs to do this when eating grass to purge themselves. However he didn't eat or drink anything that morning and was not his usual self. However on preparing to leave to go stalking and meet clients for early Friday morning he trotted out to the truck and got into the dog box.
    On arrival at the bothy to set it up for the weekend he seemed to be getting worse, and threw up again............this was slightly alarming as it stunk and was not the usual type of stomach contents one sees when a dog purges itself. This was shortly followed by a brown liquid. It was then that I decided to take him straight to the vets on the edge of the estate. By the time I got him there he was becoming alarmingly unwell.

Having left him there for tests, I was called at 11pm to be told he had pancreatitis and that he had been put on a drip and would also be having en xray. About 30 minutes later I was called and told they needed to operate as there was a large blockage in his bowel. I gave them the go ahead, although I did tell the vet that if it turned out to be a tumour to let Todd slip away as there was no point in letting him suffer.

The vet who I think is South African, told me he would call me at 1.30am after the operation. Needless to say I did not sleep. The op went well, and I did go in to see Todd the next morning. He remains in there until later today as he needed to be closely monitored and to make sure he was eating without being sick. As of this morning it is all going the right way for him and we hope to collect him later today.

And the cause of the blockage.............................bloody great pebble he had decided to eat, I assume when down the beach.

I am stacked out with clients until mid March when I finish my winter season, so as I have said he will be confined to barracks. But all being well the old boy will be back in the field with me in mid May when is start on my Roe Bucks. I hope Todd will be with me for at least another 2 to 3 seasons, as he will be 10 in March.

All of us take great care of our dogs and love them, but Todd has been the one dog in my life that has been way above all the others. Nearly lost him, but all being well he will be around for a bit longer.

And many thanks for all the kind wishes, I am grateful

Malcolm
    Last edited by sikamalc; 20-02-2016 at 10:49.

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Please give him an affectionate pat from me. Really glad he's going to be OK!
    "Wishy washy hand-wringing diversified all encompassing liberal"

Thanks Lawrence. Really sorry I had to cancel this weekend, give me a call sometime and we will try and find a date to fit you in. Maybe later in the spring or summer on a cull buck.

Also my apologise to everyone who was booked to stalk this weekend, I am sorry to let you down but I really had no choice. Please get back in contact and we can sort some dates for later in the year.

ZEISS PRO STALKER.