Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The EU - friend or foe - in or out

The EU - friend or foe - in or out

The potentially most difficult question for 'us' to decide.
    With Dave's new package (not legally binding ) what are everybody's views?
    My own view would be moving to out - I'd like to read more about the effects, pro's and con's but fear the true arguments are going to be obscured by partisan reporting.
    If we are voting with heart, I'm out, for a good number of reasons - not least of which is I cannot believe Greece has a veto on what we do. Corrupt economics to get in, corrupt economics to stay in and an economy in such a mess its own people are the least of concerns.
    Sorry, but I wish I had a better handle on the economic pros and cons - what about the Union ?
    If I were selfish,it would be out, its for the next generation I am considering the in question.
    Any views ?
    It seems from my personal research we are somewhere at 70% OUT.
    Then there's the question of the effect on Firearms Legislation, etc etc.
    I was amazed the EU started to lean towards the UK in, after such powerful feelings against - maybe our rather large contribution or the loss of it brought back a little 'perspective'?

Even if Cameron succeeds in renegotiating the UK/EU relationship meaningfully.....unlikely in the extreme...it is still, and will remain, a criminally wasteful, bloated, undemocratic, corrupt organisation run largely by unelected eurocrats, using a failed currency. We need no part of it.

Out.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

SD Regular
    It's difficult to say except that it is fact that in 1996 after the Dunblane handgun ban we got compensation, fully, because of the developments in EU Law and that in 1988 we didn't get anything other than a flat rate 50% or 150 for weapons with no compensation for any accessoroes, magazines, and etc., etc..

What is alarming is Cameron's statement about ending the right of EU Citizens to bring their non-EU spouses to the UK under different laws from that which apply to British Citizens. Now on the face of it that's fair. One rule fpr all and not a better rule for EU Citizens coming here...except...what's the quid pro quo?

What then of British Citizens wanting to go to Europe with their non-EU spouses? Are we to lose those rights? Or are British Citizens returning from a European posting to Britain with THEIR non-EU spouse to nw lose that right to be accompanied by that spouse under EU Law?

My personal view is that we would better have been in an EU that was NOT enlarged to encompass Poland, Roumania, Hungary and all of that. For we have exported our car and chocolate making there and imported their jobseekers. The worst of both scenario.

Will I vote OUT or will I vote IN?

The answer is do I trust any future British Government such that I won't feel that membership of the EU is needed to curb that British Government's excesses? And from past experience I have to say that I now see the EU...for all its 'bad' points as a bulwark against future 'democratic tyranny' of an elected London Parliament or an elected Scottish Parliament.

Simply put I fear the 'diktat' or a future Corbyn Government, a future Theresa May Government or a present and future Nicola Sturgeon Government all unchecked by EU Law than I do that of any Brussels Government.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 20-02-2016 at 11:44.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    It's difficult to say except that it is fact that in 1996 after the Dunblane handgun ban we got compensation, fully, because of the developments in EU Law and that in 1988 we didn't get anything other than a flat rate 50% or 150 for weapons with no compensation for any accessoroes, magazines, and etc., etc..

What is alarming is Cameron's statement about ending the right of EU Citizens to bring their non-EU spouses to the UK under different laws from that which apply to British Citizens. Now on the face of it that's fair. One rule fpr all and not a better rule for EU Citizens coming here...except...what's the quid pro quo?

What then of British Citizens wanting to go to Europe with their non-EU spouses? Are we to lose those rights? Or are British Citizens returning from a European posting to Britain with THEIR non-EU spouse to nw lose that right to be accompanied by that spouse under EU Law?

My personal view is that we would better have been in an EU that was NOT enlarged to encompass Poland, Roumania, Hungary and all of that. For we have exported our car and chocolate making there and imported their jobseekers. The worst of both scenario.

Will I vote OUT or will I vote IN?

The answer is do I trust any future British Government such that I won't feel that membership of the EU is needed to curb that British Government's excesses? And from past experience I have to say that I now see the EU...for all its 'bad' points as a bulwark against future 'democratic tyranny' of an elected London Parliament or an elected Scottish Parliament.

Simply put I fear the 'diktat' or a future Corbyn Government, a future Theresa May Government or a present and future Nicola Sturgeon Government all unchecked by EU Law than I do that of any Brussels Government.
    Good response; I'm in.

I'm in and Britain should adopt the euro and Swedish hunting law.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

I'm very much in. And we should proactively make Europe work for us and play a major role in it rather than constantly whining about it. Most of the " European" problems are of our own making and British propensity to enshrine any thing into law and provide yet another excuse for clipboards. Nobody else in Europe does so.

It's a cess pit of corruption and I am most definitely voting OUT and I hope and pray anybody with a grain of sense votes the same way.

I think we have more to lose by leaving yes it's not perfect but politics isn't unless you live in north Korea I'll be voting to stay in