Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soot right down the case

Soot right down the case

Wondering if anyone can help, I'm shooting 6.5x55 with 120g BT's and N160 averaging 2500 ft/s through the chrony. I'm getting quite a lot of soot down the cases, cases are full length resized and trimmed as per usual spec, the load is very very accurate. Just seems to be that since using the N160 cases are very dirty. Anyone else had this issue?
    Cheers
    Bryan

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

I've had the same with full length resized cases. This is most likely to do with excessive headspace.

Screw your fl die out a bit until your cartridges chamber a bit more snugly. You want to feel a little resistance upon closing the bolt.

Neck sizing cases that have been fired in your rifle will also solve the problem.

A light load may also be partly to blame - stoking it up a bit will help the case to seal better before the gas gets a chance to blow down the outside of the case.
    Last edited by takbok; 20-02-2016 at 16:20.

Cartridge cases are the 'seal' for the chamber. If there is not enough pressure, the seal will not be complete. I don't know what your charge is but the starting loads for Vhit N160 all have velocities in the 2700's and up. You are obviously not in a high pressure situation. Step on the throttle a little, loading in increments until the blackening/sooting stops.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Cartridge cases are the 'seal' for the chamber. If there is not enough pressure, the seal will not be complete. I don't know what your charge is but the starting loads for Vhit N160 all have velocities in the 2700's and up. You are obviously not in a high pressure situation. Step on the throttle a little, loading in increments until the blackening/sooting stops.~Muir
    +1

I decided to have a 6.5-284 built and to find a load I started 3 grains less than max and went up in half grain increments at 3 grains under the whole case was covered in soot and and every half grain it got less until at one grain under max the case was clean at book max there were in prints of the ejector on the case base but no tight bolt but backed it off one grain and it shoots less than moa
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Muir

charge is 46g of N160 120g Nosler BT

According to Lyman, Hornady and Viht manuals I'm over but Lee manual says I'm short!

Cheers

Bryan

Alba gu brąth

I would go with the Viht data (50.7gr max), which is where the Lee data comes from:

6,5 x 55 Swedish Mauser - Rifle reloading - Reloading Data - Vihtavuori

You should be able to get close to 2900fps I would think.

+1. Also, if the brass has been fired & reloaded a few times, it may be too hard to fully seal, so annealing it may also help. The problem is certainly a failure to seal correctly in the chamber when fired.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Cheers guys, appreciate the info! Will try increasing the load and see how we go from there!

Alba gu brąth

Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    +1. Also, if the brass has been fired & reloaded a few times, it may be too hard to fully seal, so annealing it may also help. The problem is certainly a failure to seal correctly in the chamber when fired.
    This

charge levels have to be very low to fail to obdurate without case hardening to add to the effect