Thread: Canted scope set up

Canted scope set up

Hi folks,

Quick question....I took the scope off one of my guns the other day using the Leupold QRW weaver style mounts and placed it on the work top which is dead level. I noticed that the scope looked canted to the left, yet when it's on the gun the cross hairs look straight!! So this probably means that I hold the gun canted slightly, so my question is does this matter if I'm shooting over a variety of ranges or should I mount the scope straight with a spirit level when the gun is also straight and then force myself to hold the gun so the cross hairs also look straight?

Alex

Alex

Shooting deer at normal ranges wouldn't be an issue, shooting small targets/vermin at extended ranges then yes there would be some errors. I like you found that what I felt was holding the rifle straight was actually canted too. I now set mine up by using a small spirit level on the action to ensure its level then another level on the scope to ensure thats level. There are other techniques and gadgets but this works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
    Hi folks,

Quick question....I took the scope off one of my guns the other day using the Leupold QRW weaver style mounts and placed it on the work top which is dead level. I noticed that the scope looked canted to the left, yet when it's on the gun the cross hairs look straight!! So this probably means that I hold the gun canted slightly, so my question is does this matter if I'm shooting over a variety of ranges or should I mount the scope straight with a spirit level when the gun is also straight and then force myself to hold the gun so the cross hairs also look straight?

Alex

Alex
    That's the same as mine , it doesn't bother me that mine is slightly canted and I don't think it will make any difference to your shooting.

My standard scope (no rail's) all have a cant to the left as I screw my rifle away from me only the v8 rail is up n' down as it were , i'v shot fox's at extended ranges and crows bunnys at over 500 what's right or wrong just gets overcome with practise .

I'm guilty of this too.

Surely if I'm zeroed at 200 yards, my bullets will go slightly high and right at close range and low and left at extended ranges? Or am I looking into this far too much?

Fascinating video produced by Magpul Dynamic featuring Todd Hartnet from Accuracy First

"it doesn't matter if the scope is absolutly square with the rifle, what matters is the scope is level with the earth." (This is why he recommends a bubble on the scope itself)

Magpul Dynamics Precision Rifle video training questions. - M14 Forum

people used offset and side mounted scopes all the time
    the cant effect on actual trajectory over angled reticule only appears significant if the reticule is canted

If it works for you why change it ?

Question is why would one mount a scope canted? Surely the goal would be to get it mounted straight, at least I would.

I am lousy at guessing the horizon when shooting between valleys and I'd be lost without a little bubble level.
    edi