Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow , a light has been switched on!

Wow , a light has been switched on!

Just got my first set of Japanese water stones for sharpening my knives. Oh my god what a shock. I thought my knives were sharp, well they are now. Bye bye Lansky.
    Tusker

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    Just got my first set of Japanese water stones for sharpening my knives. Oh my god what a shock. I thought my knives were sharp, well they are now. Bye bye Lansky.
    Which set is it that you have brought?

Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    Which set is it that you have brought?
    Double sided, 1000 and 3000 with a stone to create a slick. Happy days.
    Tusker

Don't toss out the Lasky. Just buy a 6-inch black Arkansas stone, and use that after you have them sharp with the Lasky. It is so fine that you will not feel it cutting any steel, but it will put a scary sharp finish on a blade by removing all the tiny teeth from the edge.

I haven't the knack of using water stone yet. I'm OK on a straight blade but on a clip or drop point maintaining the cutting angle round the curve I find tricky (and in a hunting knife that's the most important part of the blade). The Lanskey does that for you. It ensures a consistent angle for the kack-handed.
    The secret to a keen edge is a polished edge. So for me I agree with Southern. The Lanskey works but the hones in the standard kit are way too coarse. I use a super-fine and I leather strop after each use to keep that silky polished edge.
    I persevere with water stones until I get the hang. But for a genuine chin-shaving edge I still need the Lanskey. (And the strop).
    Last edited by Finch; 21-02-2016 at 01:21.

For the lazy amateur [me] a a multi tool with a very fine paper can put a fine edge on a knife

Quote Originally Posted by joe soapy View Post
    For the lazy amateur [me] a a multi tool with a very fine paper can put a fine edge on a knife

Sounds interesting, but could you give us a bit more info, please ?

I apreciate those that like to take their time to do things right. But if you don't want to spend hours or you are working with knives regularly or alot then get one of these and fling all your stones etc in the bin. Literally shaving sharp in minutes .

Work Sharp Original Knife and Tool Sharpener – WSKTS

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    I haven't the knack of using water stone yet.......
    This might help

Very simple and works very well.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

My next investment water stones.