Wow , a light has been switched on!

tusker

Just got my first set of Japanese water stones for sharpening my knives. Oh my god what a shock. I thought my knives were sharp, well they are now. Bye bye Lansky.
Tusker

Just got my first set of Japanese water stones for sharpening my knives. Oh my god what a shock. I thought my knives were sharp, well they are now. Bye bye Lansky.

Which set is it that you have brought?

Don't toss out the Lasky. Just buy a 6-inch black Arkansas stone, and use that after you have them sharp with the Lasky. It is so fine that you will not feel it cutting any steel, but it will put a scary sharp finish on a blade by removing all the tiny teeth from the edge.

I haven't the knack of using water stone yet. I'm OK on a straight blade but on a clip or drop point maintaining the cutting angle round the curve I find tricky (and in a hunting knife that's the most important part of the blade). The Lanskey does that for you. It ensures a consistent angle for the kack-handed.
The secret to a keen edge is a polished edge. So for me I agree with Southern. The Lanskey works but the hones in the standard kit are way too coarse. I use a super-fine and I leather strop after each use to keep that silky polished edge.
I persevere with water stones until I get the hang. But for a genuine chin-shaving edge I still need the Lanskey. (And the strop).

Last edited:
This might help

Very simple and works very well.

Cheers Eyefor. That was useful. I was using them like an oil stone. Quite a different technique really. I'll practise some more. I guess it would be easier to learn with a Scandi edge and move on to a hollow ground when I've got the hang. :thumb:

Back