Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how best to find load data

how best to find load data

hi all

I am somewhat a novice reloader. I have loaded for my .243 and had very good results so I have gone through the motions from start to finish.

my question is where is the best / most comprehensive place to find load data. I am more interested in picking a bullet and powder combination and finding out the min and max load. I was using ramshot powder which I find had a very comprehensive and might I add FREE list of load data. I am finding the VV and Hodgdon data a little light and most of the powder and bullet combinations I want to try are not listed.

I am not keen on using data which is not for a specific combination. I see that for a given powder and bullet weight, the min and max load can change quite a bit so am not keen on guessing as I am unsure how safe that would be. I guess the difference is down to the bullet and its properties.

An example from the VV data online for the 30-06
    • 180Gr TSX with N550 - Min 44.6gr to max 49.4gr
    • 180Gr naturalis & N550 - Min 49.4gr to max 54.0gr

so from the above we can see that the min load for one bullet is the max for another of the same weight with the same powder.

I am not so keen on buying multiple reloading books as they are quite expensive and have no guarantee of containing my required load data. perhaps quickload is the way forward as from what I gather, it contains most powders and bullets and will perform the calculations as required. my only issue with this is that it is expensive and once you have the data the software is not needed till the next time you want to change (which might be never).

any advice would be welcome, maybe I am missing something or maybe I am overthinking things.

thanks

Have you ever read a book on how to reload? Most of your questions are found in such books.~Muir

What bullet are you wanting to shoot? 30-06?

There can be bullet specific data for some of the lead free options, as per your example. For the normal jacketed bullets you can use the data for any bullet manufacturer.

I'd personally choose the powder that gives the best velocity and fills the case well. I'm pretty happy with load data that I dredge up on the net from powder manufacturers, and also seeing what works for people on forums. I pore through my Lee book for hours too.

I remember you mentioning Ramshot Hunter a while ago and have started using it in my .270 - works really well! Thanks.

I do think that some load data is way too conservative. It's useful to use a chronograph. I don't suspect that this is much help but that's my thoughts.

hi
    I would very highly recommend at least one reloading manual, there is a wealth of information enclosed that can help with all sorts of reloading queries you may have. I would try your favourite bullet manufacturer (Nosler, Sierra or Speer for example).
    theres also heaps of resources online. In addition to all the major manufacturers publishing data, there are a few sites like Load Data http://www.loaddata.com/home/index.cfm who collate all the load data from various manufacturers as well as other reliable sources.
    There is a fee to access this unsurprisingly but it may be money well spent. As always, treat all loads with caution and work up from minimum loads.
    cheers
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Have you ever read a book on how to reload? Most of your questions are found in such books.~Muir
    +1 with Muir.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    to be honest I do not own a manual neither have I read one . I have watched a lot of videos on youtube, I find watching somebody talking you through the process while showing you is easier to follow. perhaps I should buy some books like you suggest. I am confident in the process of reloading but only when I have the data I feel is correct.

do the manuals give guidance on how to select a powder charge where the specific data is not listed for that calibre, powder and bullet? if so, is there any that you would recommend?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    What bullet are you wanting to shoot? 30-06?

There can be bullet specific data for some of the lead free options, as per your example. For the normal jacketed bullets you can use the data for any bullet manufacturer.

I'd personally choose the powder that gives the best velocity and fills the case well. I'm pretty happy with load data that I dredge up on the net from powder manufacturers, and also seeing what works for people on forums. I pore through my Lee book for hours too.

I remember you mentioning Ramshot Hunter a while ago and have started using it in my .270 - works really well! Thanks.

I do think that some load data is way too conservative. It's useful to use a chronograph. I don't suspect that this is much help but that's my thoughts.
    I have some 130gr TTSX, 150 Gr game kings and 150 Gr SST. I have a couple I want to try for the 243 since the sierras I was using have been difficult to get hold of. most of the data is in the ramshot literature I am pleased to say, I am thinking about trying to buy a decent quantity of hunter and big game from henry kranks when they have both in stock and just sticking with them.

Do like Muir says and buy at least one book, like the one by Richard Lee.

A lot of powder makers have data online.
    Your .30-06 data for VihtaVuori is here:
    Rifle reloading data - Rifle reloading - Reloading Data - Vihtavuori

Nosler has their entire manual online. You can download each cartridge as a separate PDF. And they have some hotter loads with a wide variety of powders.
    http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-da...6-springfield/

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Do like Muir says and buy at least one book, like the one by Richard Lee.

A lot of powder makers have data online.
    Your .30-06 data for VihtaVuori is here:
    Rifle reloading data - Rifle reloading - Reloading Data - Vihtavuori

Nosler has their entire manual online. You can download each cartridge as a separate PDF. And they have some hotter loads with a wide variety of powders.
    http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-da...6-springfield/
    Thanks for the reply I do appreciate the advice of yourself, muir and all the other regulars. Perhaps buying a book to see what it says is best as I may be asking something that's already answered like Muir says.

my real question, which I maybe didn't put forward clearly (or may be on the first page of every manual and I look like an idiot), is what to do if the combination is not listed. for example if you look at the Vihtavouri data for 30-06 there are 2 x 150 bullets listed a lapua mega and lock base. If I want to use the N550 powder and 150grain game kings how do I decide what min and max load to go with? the reason I ask is that the min for the lock base is higher than the max of the mega. so if I chose the min of one of them and work up I may either be too low or already at max.

again thanks for your advice

The wonderful thing about youtube is that any one can upload their video and such videos can have any data or information the uploader wishes to put in it. Safe/unsafe whatever.

If you follow one and it has unsafe information and there is a problem how do you persue this issue?

On the other hand a book that is published the information is attributable to someone and you have someone to go to with you issue should the data be unsafe. An error online can be altered with a keystroke a printed book well they first have to get hold of your copy to do anything to it.

That is why I always suggest a book ......................... the fact that I happen to like books is besides the point!