Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Roe with 80 or 85 grain Barnes bullets

  1. #1

    Roe with 80 or 85 grain Barnes bullets

    I am doing a bit of research into bullet weights and constructions for shooting Roe. I'm after some thoughts from anyone who is using or has used in the past the Barnes TSX or TTSX in 80 or 85 grain in 6mm or .25 cal.

    I'm interested in reaction to chest shots, % of drop on the spots vs runners. Would also like information about your muzzle velocity and the amount of carcass damage you feel was inflicted.

    Help would be very much appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Nigel
    So much to learn and so little time left

  2. #2
    Nigel
    I have used 85gr TSX in my .243 . I found them very accurate and seemed to punch above their weight .
    I predominantly shot fallow with mine only ever recovery 2 bullets these were from big bucks .

    These bullets caused the least amount of meat damage and bruising, on H/L shots I've seen and the deer went down quickly.

    Neil

    I'm sure mine were running at 3100 fps

  3. #3
    Thank you Neil, just the sort of thing I'm after.

    I don't suppose you are still using them are you?

    Nigel
    So much to learn and so little time left

  4. #4
    i really cant see there being any noticable differnce in two bullets of the same construction with just 5 grains between them when it comes to how the animal drops or reacts i can how ever see there possibly being a differnce in accuracy as to which weight your rifle preffers i would just give the 85grs a go see how you get on with them if you cant find a load your rifle likes or one your happy with then try the 80grs

  5. #5
    So After using TSX abroad a few times I thought I would try them in the 243.
    I have used both weights on Roe and Fallow and both worked similar for me, as follows;
    Barnes TSX 85gn, Vit N550 powder, vel 3155fps.
    I got fantastic accuracy out to 250 meters and the following on live animals.
    I took 5 shots at Roe buck between 50 and 170 metres, 4 heart shot and all ran between 70 and 200 metres before dropping, one lung shot Roe Buck and that dropped approx. 300metres.
    All exit wounds were the same as entry, with NO blood trail!!!
    I did not try them again.
    I shot 4 fallow with them, 2 does at 60-70 metres heart shot with similar results to the above and two adult bucks, one heart shot that moved 10 metres the other neck shot at the same, I wont try to describe what happened.
    I pulled the rest and threw the bullets away.

  6. #6
    So out of interest what do you use now in your 243 instead? 95gr SST?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    i really cant see there being any noticable differnce in two bullets of the same construction with just 5 grains between them when it comes to how the animal drops or reacts i can how ever see there possibly being a differnce in accuracy as to which weight your rifle preffers i would just give the 85grs a go see how you get on with them if you cant find a load your rifle likes or one your happy with then try the 80grs
    I'm not looking for a difference between the two. I have been using a 120 grain TTSX in a 7mm at 3400 fps and it has been stunning, 8 Roe heart shot with it, all collapsed on the spot. However, damage can be significant! I'm looking to load either the TSX 85 grain or the TTSX 80 grain in the 6mm at 3200 fps and wanted to understand if others had good or bad experiences with them.

    Looks like we have one positive and one negative so far, both with the same 85 grain TSX bullet and both around the same 3100/3150 velocity.
    So much to learn and so little time left

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by levigsp View Post
    So After using TSX abroad a few times I thought I would try them in the 243.
    I have used both weights on Roe and Fallow and both worked similar for me, as follows;
    Barnes TSX 85gn, Vit N550 powder, vel 3155fps.
    I got fantastic accuracy out to 250 meters and the following on live animals.
    I took 5 shots at Roe buck between 50 and 170 metres, 4 heart shot and all ran between 70 and 200 metres before dropping, one lung shot Roe Buck and that dropped approx. 300metres.
    All exit wounds were the same as entry, with NO blood trail!!!
    I did not try them again.
    I shot 4 fallow with them, 2 does at 60-70 metres heart shot with similar results to the above and two adult bucks, one heart shot that moved 10 metres the other neck shot at the same, I wont try to describe what happened.
    I pulled the rest and threw the bullets away.
    Thank you Levi. Interested in the neck shot. Not keen on necks with the TSX bullets as no fragmentation means little margin for error. Is that what happened with you?
    So much to learn and so little time left

  9. #9
    I use 85grn HPBT on top of n160, great all purpose round, I cannot fault it.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by levigsp View Post
    I use 85grn HPBT on top of n160, great all purpose round, I cannot fault it.
    Off topic but it's exactly what I use
    dave

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale BARNES triple-shock x bullets and Barnes vermint grenade bullet heads
    By calton moor range in forum Reloading
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-03-2017, 11:00
  2. *SOLD* 75 or 80 grain Amax Bullets (.224)
    By sir-slots-alot in forum Reloading
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27-08-2014, 11:57
  3. *SOLD* .17 bullets. 20 grain vmax and 25 grain berger's
    By jay 22 in forum Reloading
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 06:43
  4. For Sale Winchester 80 grain soft points.
    By basil in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-07-2010, 13:14
  5. Bullets for .243 in 80 90 Grain?
    By Welsh Guy in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 16-04-2010, 09:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •