Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foxing setup

Foxing setup

Hi guys I have been thinking about getting a foxing nv setup. I have a photon xt that I will do the xtreme conversion on that will give around 3/400 yards but I'm not sure what rifle to put it on.
    I will need to put in a variation for the rifle but a bit stuck on cal. I have had a. 223 which was good and it will only be used to a maximum of 200 yards as that's about as far as I can see on my permission.
    Any thoughts on a hornet or suggestions on another calibre?
    When my dad was a keeper that is what was used to good effect. Regards Dan

ive not got any sort of nv equipment but I do find 22\250 has accounted for its fair share of Fox's lamped in the traditional way probably how your father did so .I've had my Remy 700 for 15 yrs now although it has been pimped a little from the original factory rifle .
    good luck huge choice out there
    Norma

I would say 17 rem or 204 Ruger if you are going to do other vermin control with the rifle or 222, 223 or 22/250 if this is a dedicated fox rifle. What are you going to use as a spotter as rifle mounted NV are not really suitable

Best dedicated 200 yard fox rifle I have come across is my current .17 Fireball, even used it in council run cemeteries.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I'm going through the process for a fox rifle at the moment but have been refused a .204 due to it not being advised as a fox calibre in the Home Office Guide on Firearms Licensing Law, page 119. I've been cleared for either a 223 or 22-250 though.

Not sure what other shooting you have but you never know what can turn up opportunity wise in the future, yes I have a .243 but it covers a lot of bases.

All factory rounds and home loads have a cost but unless you are chewing through them like sweets at a kids party then it is not so expensive, also there will only be so many foxes you will shoot in the season.

Get a .222 then a bit of Fallow stalking comes up (that is if you are into shooting deer) have a bigger calibre and no one will ever ask you lol....

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Quote Originally Posted by Thegogg View Post
    I'm going through the process for a fox rifle at the moment but have been refused a .204 due to it not being advised as a fox calibre in the Home Office Guide on Firearms Licensing Law, page 119. I've been cleared for either a 223 or 22-250 though.

Another show of those who administer, not knowing their ar*e from their elbow, .204 not suitable for fox, but hey we'll let you shoot em with HMR's.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Another show of those who administer, not knowing their ar*e from their elbow, .204 not suitable for fox, but hey we'll let you shoot em with HMR's.
    Get's worse I'm afraid as I've already got a 17HMR and the reason for wanting my first CF is due to NWP not allowing the Hummer as a foxing round either.......

I have a .243 deer set up so I'm covered on that side for now!
    I am after a nv fox rig. I will probably make a spotter. Most of the shooting will be from a high seat covering fields and hedges.
    If I'm lamping I can use the .243 but if I have a nv rig I can turn the lamp off and just use the nv.

Quote Originally Posted by danban View Post
    I have a .243 deer set up so I'm covered on that side for now!
    I am after a nv fox rig. I will probably make a spotter. Most of the shooting will be from a high seat covering fields and hedges.
    If I'm lamping I can use the .243 but if I have a nv rig I can turn the lamp off and just use the nv.
    .223 or .22-250 then....Robert Bucknell uses a .223 with 69 gn round.

Stay away from the toy rounds lol....

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....