Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice wanted on copper bullets and ammunition

Advice wanted on copper bullets and ammunition

Looks as if I will have to reluctantly move to non toxic ammunition.

Has anyone experience of reloading with copper bullets and if yes then which ones and what powder do you use?

Does anyone use factory ammunition if yes then details please.

Suppliers of the above?

Thanks in advance. David

I use GS Custom 110gr copper bullet with Ramshot Hunter in my .270. These bullets aren't readily available in the UK.

I have just bought 110gr Barnes TSX bullets from Arms24 in Germany. Alpinhunting also stocks Barnes & Jaguar copper bullets - I have successfully ordered bullets from them before. It's great to be able to get them delivered to your door and not have to chase after elusive UK stockists.

I'm sure you will get lots of replies but here is my two pennies worth as I have to shoot non toxic on a reserve.

Barnes TSX do not expand sufficiently well to be considered usable. Barnes TTSX, the plastic tipped alternative are better but still have limited expansion. Generally these are available from most good reloading outlets.

I now solely use RWS bionic yellow 154gn in my 308 stalking rifle which is a Sako 85 as they group very well.

Andy

Where do you get them from please?

Quote Originally Posted by force64 View Post
    Barnes TSX do not expand sufficiently well to be considered usable. Barnes TTSX, the plastic tipped alternative are better but still have limited expansion. Generally these are available from most good reloading outlets.
    I'm using Sako Powerhead (factory ammo) in my .270, loadedwith 130 grains Barnes TSX, never had any problem with them, there are grouping under 1/2 MOA in my R8 and had great knocking power and 95% + weight retention.

GS Custom are hard to find. I gave up a few weeks after waiting 6 months for the Dutch supplier.

Are the RWS easily sourced ?

GMX 165's in the winmag, very accurate, & the old Barnes 130's shot very accurately same poi as soft nose in the .270.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by daw View Post
    Looks as if I will have to reluctantly move to non toxic ammunition.

Has anyone experience of reloading with copper bullets and if yes then which ones and what powder do you use?

Does anyone use factory ammunition if yes then details please.

Suppliers of the above?

Thanks in advance. David
    Can you let us know what you are shooting in terms of calibre and quarry. I use Barnes bullets out of choice where possible but it seems some calibres and bullet weight are better than others. The 130g is awesome in 308 and the 120g 6.5 and 7mm get good reviews. In 270 the 110g is the best of the bunch as far as I am aware. As you can see the light for calibre bullets are generally the best choices and don't be shy with velocity!

308 for all deer species and 243

Quote Originally Posted by daw View Post
    308 for all deer species and 243
    Personally I would stick with the 308 and 130g TSX or TTSX at 3000fps or above. I use 46g of H4895 in my 20 inch 308 and get 3000fps almost on the nose and regularly shoot 0.5 in groups with it. The furthest I have had roe travel is 5 yards with dropping on the spot being more normal. The reports with 243 are a bit less favourable from what I can tell. I normally get my Barnes from reloading solutions but Brownells Uk are also worth a look.
    A quick check showed the 130g TTSX to be in stock at Brownells
    Last edited by srvet; 21-02-2016 at 14:56.