Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loading for 300win

Loading for 300win

Toying with the idea of a bigger rifle I think if your going big go as big as you can so like the idea of a 300 win mag my question is can you load different bullet powder combos to reduce recoil and replicate smaller 30 call eg 150 grain for roe and munties like a 308 and 180 grain and finally 220 grain for the really big stuff3 things I do understand already I can't just reduce the amount of powder because of the risk of burn rate changing and pressure spikes
    It will be expensive and time consuming but in the long run it will be cheaper than buying 2 or 3 guns and scopes
    Will twist rate be an issue with a spread of bullet weights
    This is a bit of a pipe dream at the moment just thinking out loud but can any of you guys tell me if its doable
    Cheers jake

I have loaded 150-208gr using h1000, imr 4831, h4831, n165, n160 and remington factory powder pulled from factory ammo

settled on 180gr over rem powder and 208gr and h1000

none of them are fast
    only have proper chrono speeds for 208gr at 2700fps
    180gr is likely to be around the 2900fps mark

bullet construction is more relevant than velocity imo

run frangible bullets fast and you will get mince
    more solid bonded bullets at moderate speeds and choose sensible shot placement and you will be fine
    shot a calf not much bigger than a roe and it could easily have been a .243

Cheers bewsh I've been told the 300 is quite heavy on the recoil does it change much with the bullet weight

I have shot mine naked (the rifle not me!), with a brake and with a mod.
    its a bit punchy without any barrel jewellery but since i lengthened the stock to fit its a dream.
    off a bipod, loading the pod and prone with a PES t12 I barely notice it at all

i wasn't going to shoot it with a mod but it's simply so much more accurate with than without
    the five shot group to the left is at 135yds across a gully in the borders.

with the brake it would open to maybe touching but likely a small cluster with a couple of holes not touching.
    standing shots without are much more easily controlled as with any larger calibre, for that I would ditch the mod

rifle fit is key to controlling perceived recoil.
    i notice less recoil with the slower powders but not much in it

This is truly a curiosity based question: What are you shooting now? And what is it that you will hunt that is big enough to warrant a 300 Win Mag?

I live in an area where we have Elk and moose, which get pretty big, and toothed critters that will eat you if they have the mind like lion and bears. Our deer can average 200 pounds, +/-. I have the likes of 308 Norma Magnum, and a 375 H&H and a bolt action 45-70 but I don't carry them. I tend to lean towards 6.5x55, 7mm-08, or 30-06. Even here I wonder at people who carry a belted magnum for general use.~Muir

Your not helping me with reasons not to buy I may be alot poorer in the future, what twist is your barrel and does it shot all weight accurately, your group is pretty impressive

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    This is truly a curiosity based question: What are you shooting now? And what is it that you will hunt that is big enough to warrant a 300 Win Mag?

I live in an area where we have Elk and moose, which get pretty big, and toothed critters that will eat you if they have the mind like lion and bears. Our deer can average 200 pounds, +/-. I have the likes of 308 Norma Magnum, and a 375 H&H and a bolt action 45-70 but I don't carry them. I tend to lean towards 6.5x55, 7mm-08, or 30-06. Even here I wonder at people who carry a belted magnum for general use.~Muir
    Blasphemy!!
    he needs one OK!
    we should all have a belted magnum in our life at some point

Muir I shoot a 243 at the moment and get on fine with foxes and small deer but have the option of red deer in scotland and wild boar I have mates with 270 308 and 30 06and just fancy something different my thinking is down loading a large cartridge to have similar power to a smaller cartridge but having the option of a hard hitting round when needed this way getting more shooting with the gun
    As I said it just thinking out loud so after any comments

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Blasphemy!!
    he needs one OK!
    This is kind of my thinking more why not than why
    A bit like mountain climbing you don't need to but people still do

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Blasphemy!!
    he needs one OK!
    +1

Love the .300 !!!! From 150 grain BTs to 208 Amax it just gobbles them all up.........with 70 grains plus of powder though...that's the only downside!

1:10 barrel and yes shoots all weights accurately