Thread: Digiscoping tonight

Digiscoping tonight

I went out this evening with my Swaro STM80HD spotting scope teamed up with a DSLR to practice the various camera and focusing options and walked into a group of hinds above Bampton.

Attachment 1150
    Attachment 1151
    Attachment 1152
    Attachment 1153

All looking a bit scraggy as their summer coats start to come through.

Distance was about 180 - 200 metres. Swaro STM80HD @ 30x mag with an Olympus E420 and 25mm 1:2.8 'pancake' lens. It gives (I believe) something like a 1800mm equivalent focal length. Still some way to go in working out the best settings to use and practicing dialling the focus in, but getting there.

I cranked it up to 50x mag + and got this one;

Attachment 1155
    Last edited by Orion; 25-05-2010 at 00:02.

Wow! I really must look at how to connect (if I can) my spotting scope (Opticron ES 80 GA ED) to my Sony DSC808... I'd love to be able to take shots like that...

Pippa

Quote Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
    Wow! I really must look at how to connect (if I can) my spotting scope (Opticron ES 80 GA ED) to my Sony DSC808... I'd love to be able to take shots like that...
    You'll probably be able to pick up an adaptor on the web somewhere but the guys at Ace Cameras/Optics in Bath are a good source of info and equipment.

http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/...7/prodtype.asp

I'm just getting going with this lark but it really does get you up close and personal with the subjects without too much risk of disturbance. A good tripod is a must - I'd recommend carbon fibre or similar if you're going to yomp it around - plus a remote shutter release if you don't want to rely on the timer, (those pics were taken with a 2 sec shutter delay, hence the blurring of some of the deer, so I've just got a generic remote from Amazon for a fiver). Birding forums are a good source of info as they've been digiscoping for a while. The Swarovski website also has some FAQs and tutorials on the subject.

http://www.swarovskioptik.com/en/digiscoping

Thanks Orion - some good tips there... I also found this site: http://www.digiscoping.co.uk/?Cat=Adapters which has a great set of pics of the various adapters and a lot of useful info...

<sigh> Another thing to spend money on...