Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An explanation needed

An explanation needed

One of the rifles I shoot with is a 243wssm and it shoots 100grn bullets 150fps faster than a 243 win and I read that there is no point shooting a 243wssm because 150fps is so very little differance.

I am also having built a 338-06 which shoot 225 grn bullets 150fps slower than a 338win mag and I read that the 338-06 is not half the rifle the 338 win mag is can someone explain.

Keith
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

I am afraid there are a lot of people who think that MV is really important forgetting that does the bullet chosen perform at the typical range you work at which really matters. If the cartridge suits you and does the job efficiently and humanely stick with it.

Best wishes,

David.

PS I still really like old fashioned gentle tapers because of the way they feed, but that is just my take on things.

Don't believe the hype. Sounds like two great rifles to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    PS I still really like old fashioned gentle tapers because of the way they feed, but that is just my take on things.
    Agreed, I was just admiring the long slim .270 Win yesterday.

What you're experiencing there is personal bias. Happens with everything.
    I don't want a 243 WSSM and never will, but I don't want a .242 in any shape or form. That's my bias.

I think the main thing is when a wildcat or new cartridge challenges a popular one, people who own the popular one do the "well it doesn't do anything my .XXX won't do" crap.

Fact is, if it works for you who gives a flying fish!
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

I wouldn't have a 243 WSSM as a gift but the 338-06 sounds fun. If there was a criticism of the 338-06 in comparison to the 338 Win Mag, the data tops out with 250 grain bullets at the same speed the 338 Win Mag throws 300 grain bullets. This only matters if that 50 grains matters. Otherwise, who cares? Frankly, I'd take the 338-06. More efficient.~Muir

The .338-06 and .35 Whelen are very efficient with heavy, top-end bullet weights for the .30-06.

Ask yourself, "How many yards is that extra NNN feet per second, in terms of energy?"
    Is it the equivalent of being 100 yards closer? Do you need that, or can you always get 100 yards closer with your 5% less powerful rifle?

Ask yourself, "How many inches of drop difference does that extra NNN fps buy me?"
    Half inch... One inch... Two inches at 300 yards?
    Does that make a difference in your ability to hit the target?

Is is worth the extra recoil, and expense?

Personally, I don't own a .338 Win Mag, but I am tempted to buy one right now, an unfired Model 70 Supergrade, just because it is so nice. But I think it makes perfect sense to own a .30-06, a .270, a .338-06 and a .35 Whelen.

If it does what you want it to and floats your boat, go for it!
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

Well I know nothing about the 243 WSSM in fact not sure that I had heard of it until this post. Had heard of the ill fated WSM's. Thing is I fell over a really nice rifle and it was chambered in WSM would the round it is chambered for really matter? As long as it was available so the rifle could be used.

Just had a quick search for rifles for WSSM and frankly nothing I saw would attract me to them. The majority seem to be plastic stocked so not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    Well I know nothing about the 243 WSSM in fact not sure that I had heard of it until this post. Had heard of the ill fated WSM's. Thing is I fell over a really nice rifle and it was chambered in WSM would the round it is chambered for really matter? As long as it was available so the rifle could be used.
    The .22 / 243 / .25 WSSM were an attempt to capitalize on the fad for short, fat case cartridge designs thanks to claims for extreme accuracy and super-efficiency based on the 6PPC benchrest competition number. In actual fact, the 243WSSM delivers exactly the same performance as the 'old-fashioned' 243 Win if the latter is loaded up to the WSSM's SAAMI MAP of 65,000 psi. The WSSM uses really heavy, thick brass to cope with Weatherby Magnum pressures, and the design suffers various problems the main one being hard extraction if loaded to full pressures and that including factory ammo. The WSSMs were introduced in the tail-end of the old Winchester company's (actually the US Repeating Arms Co. which had permission to use the Winchester Arms trade name) days in the original 19th Century Winchester New Haven plant before the company was bought out by FNH (USA) and production facilities moved to the US deep south in new factories. So, the WSSM rifles were pretty poor too which didn't help its cause.

I wouldn't call the WSMs 'ill-fated'. They're doing very nicely for themselves indeed and have largely replaced the original 1950s .300 Winchester Magnum. The competing Remington SAUMs (Short-Action Ultra Magnum) which some consider a better design than the WSM haven't fared well though and are nearly dead. The other thing that came out of the WSM / RSAUM initiatives is that there is generally only a market for one or two large calibres of .30 and above in the magnum rifle and cartridge market - the 270 and 7mm versions haven't caught on and are now regarded as dead in the water. Hardly surprising considering how effective the 50 year old 7mm Remington Magnum is and the widespread availability of factory ammo. Conversely though, 'wildcat' versions of the 7WSM (using the .300 or 270 case as a base) have become the cartridge of choice in some long-range precision competition disciplines.
    Last edited by Laurie; 22-02-2016 at 14:14.